Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim called his team’s rebounding performance a “disaster” following SU’s game against Georgetown this week, where the Hoyas posted a 48-30 advantage.
The Orange gave much better effort on the glass on Saturday in a 85-67 win over Connecticut as Syracuse had a 31-29 advantage of the boards.
Did this live up to Boeheim’s standards?
“Marginally,” Boeheim said. “We didn’t get killed, let’s put it that way.”
Despite his answer, Boeheim had to be happy with his team outrebounding the Huskies, who came in 36th in the nation 38.3 per game. Comparatively, SU averages 35.8 rebounds, 114th nationally.
CJ Fair led the way with 12 rebounds, 11 on the defensive end, to go with 14 points.
“(We focused on) positioning yourself and going to get it,” Fair said. “Sometimes it’s just about securing the rebound.”
“(Fair is) a pretty good rebounder overall,” Boeheim said. “Sometimes it’s where your positioned when the ball comes. It seemed more balls came his way. It just went toward him more tonight.”
SU also got a decent rebounding performance from its backcourt, as Scoop Jardine and Dion Waiters combined for five rebounds.
“The guards helped us a lot more,” forward Kris Joseph said. “It was more of a collective effort. We can’t keep getting outrebounded by such a large amount so we definitely dialed in and located the ball a little better.”
Fab Melo and Baye Keita also accounted for six rebounds.
“We worked on the last practice,” Melo said. “We were focused on getting rebounds, and that’s what we did.”
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 TE Aaron Hackett down to Syracuse, USF - July 29, 2016
- Jason Emerich — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 28, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Several 2017 Syracuse basketball targets to play in Entertainer’s Basketball Classic - July 28, 2016
- Clemson Tigers — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 27, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 defensive back Jarrett Paul to visit Syracuse on Thursday - July 26, 2016
- How will Syracuse F Michael Gbinije do with the Detroit Pistons? - July 25, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from 2017 LB Nadarius Fagan - July 25, 2016
- Boston College Eagles — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - July 22, 2016
- Instant Juice: Boeheim’s Army 84, The Untouchables 91 - July 21, 2016
- Steven Clark — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - July 21, 2016