A quick take on Syracuse’s 64-61 win against Georgetown:
WHAT HAPPENED: Tied at 61 with 28 seconds left, Scoop Jardine drove into the paint and found Kris Joseph roaming along the baseline for an open 3. Joseph drained the shot, giving the game its 18th and final lead change. A substitution gaffe on Georgetown’s part left sharpshooter Hollis Thompson on the bench, and Jason Clark—Georgetown’s best shooter on the floor—lost the ball out of bounds after Jardine knocked the ball off his foot.
ANALYSIS: It was a defensive slug-fest from both teams, as Syracuse shot 34.9 percent from the field, while the Hoyas was 33.3 percent. SU survived being outrebounded 52-35 by being +6 on turnover margin (15-9). The Orange hadn’t played many close games throughout the year, and in the clutch situations, the Orange has featured Joseph and Dion Waiters. Tonight, it was Joseph, who busted out of a 3-for-37 slump over his past seven games to nail 6-of-11 attempts from beyond the arc, none more important than his last, which allowed the Orange to escape with a win.
HERO: With the win, SU coach Jim Boeheim won his 880th game, passing Dean Smith for sole possession of third place on the all-time win list. As for the players, Joseph led the way, scoring 29 points, a career high, while Fab Melo chipped 11 rebounds, seven rebounds and six blocks. Otto Porter had 14 points and 13 rebounds for the Hoyas and Clark added 12.
ZERO: CJ Fair struggled through a 2-for-10 shooting performance, and Dion Waiters went 3-for-12 from the field. Henry Sims was 1-for-12 for six points for Georgetown.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will host Connecticut on Sat., Feb 11 at 1:00 p.m. TV: CBS.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017