Confirming a report from The Juice Online from Wednesday morning, Syracuse University announced on Thursday morning that starting center Fab Melo is eligible.
“Sophomore Fab Melo will return to the Syracuse University men’s basketball playing roster beginning this Saturday on the road against St. John’s in Madison Square Garden,” according to the release.
University policy and federal student privacy laws prohibited the Unviersity from saying why Melo had missed the last three games, but numerous sources have told The Juice Online it was because of an academic issue. Those sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.
A break in the schedule had the Orange only playing three games in a nearly two-week stretch, the three games Melo missed while sorting through academic responsibilities. The Orange went 2-1 in Melo’s absence, including their first loss of the season, 67-58 at Notre Dame Jan. 21.
Syracuse will play St. John’s on Saturday at Madison Square Garden.
Melo is currently avergaging 7.3 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.9 blocks in 17 games.
- Mixed Juice: 2016 Syracuse football predictions - August 19, 2016
- Mixed Juice: Who will start for 2016-17 Syracuse basketball? - July 29, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: Parity is the new normal - May 23, 2016
- Thoughts on athletic director Mark Coyle’s departure from Syracuse - May 12, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse: ACC Tournament predictions - April 28, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Zagoria breaks down Syracuse basketball’s loss against North Carolina - April 3, 2016
- Part II — Syracuse basketball Final Four Predictions - March 31, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: Final Four Predictions Part I - March 30, 2016
- SNY.tv Video: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim discusses win over Virginia - March 28, 2016
- A look at the Sweet 16 - March 23, 2016