A quick take on Syracuse’s 60-53 win against Cincinnati:
WHAT HAPPENED: Cincinnati hit four of its first five 3-point attempts, and took an early 15-6 lead. But SU closed the first half on a 6-0 run and took a 28-25 lead into the break. A 12-2 run midway through the second half gave the Orange a 52-44 lead with 6:01 left, and control of the game. Syracuse was able to win despite starting the game 0-for-8 from 3-point land, although it did three of its final four. One game after a woeful 34 percent shooting performance against the Fighting Irish, SU rebounded by shooting 46 percent from the field.
ANALYSIS: Though the Orange was far from perfect, SU’s defense improved significantly from its first loss of the season. Cincinnati shot just 34.4 percent from the field and was also only 8-for-25 from downtown after its torrid start. The amount of 3-pointers attempted was particularly curious considering that the Bearcats had a clear size advantage down low with Fab Melo suspended. Despite the Orange giving up plenty of size to forward Yancy Gates, he only took 12 shots in the game.
HERO: Kris Joseph led the way with 17 points on 8-for-11 shooting, although he missed all three of his shots from beyond the arc. Scoop Jardine had 13 points and six assists, while Brandon Triche chipped in with 11. Gates had 16 points and 10 rebounds for the Bearcats.
ZERO: Dion Waiters barely played in the second half, and finished with two points on 1-for-5 shooting. Jaquon Parker had a similar night, with two points, and was 1-for-7 from the field.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse returns home to the Carrier Dome to play West Virginia on Sat., Jan 28 at 1:00 p.m. TV: ESPNU.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017