Syracuse will put its 16-0 record on the line when it hosts Marquette in a rematch of the third round of the NCAA tournament.
INSIDE HELP: Marquette raced out of the gates, winning its first 10 games before dropping two of three heading into Big East play. The last loss, a crushing 74-57 home loss against Vanderbilt, exposed what may be Marquette’s biggest problem this year—lack of size. Center Chris Otule has been out with a knee injury since early December, and the Golden Eagles next tallest player is 6-foot-8 Davante Gardner. The question for Buzz Williams’ club becomes how they will deal with 7-footer Fab Melo and other big men in the rugged Big East.
SCOUTING THE GOLDEN EAGLES: Junior Cadougan has emerged as one of the top playmakers for the Golden Eagles, averaging more than five assists per game against just 2.2 turnovers. But the key to Marquette’s success lies with seniors Darius Johnson-Odom and Jae Crowder, who average nearly 35 points between them.
IN MARQUETTE’S LAST GAME: Georgetown’s Hollis Thompson hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 24 seconds left to cap a 17-point rally as the Hoyas topped Marquette 73-70. Johnson-Odom had 18 points to lead the Golden Eagles in the loss.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse is 7-4 all-time against the Eagles. The last time these two teams met was in the third round of the 2011 NCAA tournament. Johnson-Odom’s 17 points led the way as the Golden Eagles knocked the Orange out of the tournament, 66-62.
GAME INFORMATION: Sat, Jan 7. 4:00 p.m. BIG EAST Network/SNY. Syracuse, NY.
- Rercruiting Roundup: Syracuse target Cycoby Burch will take officials before commiting - August 28, 2015
- Adelson: Syracuse football faces tough road to bowl game in 2015 - August 28, 2015
- Antwan Cordy — Meet the 2015 Syracuse Football team - August 27, 2015
- Rercruiting Roundup: Is the door open for Moustapha Diagne at Syracuse? - August 26, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Cycoby Burch to choose between Syracuse, three others - August 25, 2015
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Decommitted Amir Watts speaking to Syracuse - August 24, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Moustapha Diagne will not play for Syracuse - August 21, 2015
- Ervin Phillips — Meet the 2015 Syracuse Football team - August 20, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse keeping tabs on 2017 athlete Brandon Sebastian - August 20, 2015
- Boston College Eagles — 2015 Syracuse Football preview - August 19, 2015