Believe it or not, today, December 1, 2011, marks the one year anniversary of The Juice Online. It’s hard to believe it’s been one year since we joined the Internet community, but it’s been an incredible year since making our transition from a print magazine to our online version.
It’s also been a newsworthy year—perhaps not always for the right reasons—for the Orange. Think about all of the things that have happened since December 1, 2010:
1. Syracuse makes a bowl game for the first time since 2004 and wins one for the first time since 2001. Syracuse coach Doug Marrone led Syracuse to its first winning season in nearly a decade, making the SU football program relevant again. It culminated in a dramatic 36-34 win in the first Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, just a stone’s throw from where Marrone grew up.
2. Rick Jackson had a breakout year for the Syracuse basketball team, earning Big East Player of the Year Honors with averages of 13.1 points, 10.3 rebounds and 2.5 blocks a game. Unfortunately for Jackson, his career ended on a sour note, as the Orange was ousted in the third round of the NCAA tournament by Big East foe Marquette.
3. The Orange lacrosse team had another stellar regular season, going 14-1 before stumbling in the second round of the NCAA tournament to Maryland. The Orange failed to advance in the quarterfinal round for the first time in 25 games — a streak that dated back to 1981.
4. The Orange kept the Schwartzwalder Trophy for the second straight year, with a 49-23 demolition of then-No. 11 West Virginia at the Carrier Dome on Oct. 21. Pending Syracuse’s game against Pittsburgh on Saturday, it could be the highlight of the Syracuse football season, as the Orange has dropped four straight since then, and is in danger of missing the postseason.
5. And, of course, the Bernie Fine scandal, which we’ll find out more about in the coming weeks and months.
The next year, I’m sure, will provide us with more memorable games and stunning headlines. In the meantime, thank you for making it possible for us to be here. It truly means a lot be writing this to all of you.
Wesley Cheng is the managing editor of The Juice Online. You can reach him at email@example.com.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016