Syracuse coach Doug Marrone was still hurting over Syracuse’s 19-16 double overtime loss to Rutgers on Saturday.
“It’s still very difficult to stand up here and talk about a football game that we truly feel that we gave one away,” Marrone said during his weekly press conference. “It’s really the first one since we’ve been here that we felt that way.”
It was a step out of character for Marrone, who is normally quick to move on to the next game regardless of a win or loss.
“It’s tough and it’s difficult,” Marrone said. “I feel for the fans. I feel for the alumni. I feel for everyone to a point where you look in the mirror in the morning and you wake up and realize that you have to do a better job.”
One of the key places where Syracuse can do a better job is in the turnover department. The Orange turned the ball over five times on Saturday, including three interceptions from quarterback Ryan Nassib and two fumbles from tailback Antwon Bailey.
Special teams also had a rough day on Saturday, as an extra point and two field goal attempts were blocked.
“It really doesn’t matter who we’re playing if you turn the ball over five times,” Marrone said. “It’s like a zero percent chance of winning.”
Still, Marrone is confident that the Orange will bounce back.
“Our kids will respond,” he said. “You have to move on and we’ll start working with our players today on that.”
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017