Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib was named Rivals.com Big East player of the week after throwing three touchdown passes in a 36-29 win over Wake Forest on Thursday.
Although Nassib struggled through the first three quarters of the game, the junior quarterback was a perfect 8-for-8 in the fourth quarter and in overtime. Nassib finished 20-for-28 with 178 yards.
“When we get hot and get on a role, we can have that kind of production,” Syracuse coach Doug Marrone said during his weekly press conference. “And that’s what we’re looking for. It’s not unrealistic to ask your quarterback to go 8-for-8. He’s capable of that as well as our receivers.”
One of the receivers Marrone was referring to was Van Chew, who had four receptions for 60 yards and the game winning touchdown in overtime. Chew laid out for a 4-yard score, capping a 22-point rally for the Orange.
“I saw the ball when it left Ryan [Nassib]’s hands and I knew it was a floater so I knew I’d have time to run over there and get it,” Chew said. “When I was probably three yards away from it I thought ‘I have a chance at the ball’ and just went for it.”
In hindsight, the throw wasn’t even by design.
“To be honest with you, I was just trying to throw it away,” Nassib said. “I just threw it where only Van could get it. I’ve been with him for quite some time and he makes those plays look easy doesn’t he?”
The same could be said about SU’s entire offense in the fourth quarter and in overtime. Nassib also found Adam Harris for a 2-yard strike to make it 29-21 with 8:26 left.
Less than two minutes later, Antwon Bailey broke loose for a 53-yard run that helped tie the game.
“We started clicking,” Nassib said. “Our offense realized the situation we were in and realized we had to start making plays.”
That is something Syracuse expects from Nassib the rest of the season.
“I’m excited about it, and [Nassib] did a very good job,” Marrone said. “But we have to continue that week in and week out.”
Corey Mallonee contributed to this article.
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Brandon Randolph includes Syracuse in final four - September 13, 2016