Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib was named Rivals.com Big East player of the week after throwing three touchdown passes in a 36-29 win over Wake Forest on Thursday.
Although Nassib struggled through the first three quarters of the game, the junior quarterback was a perfect 8-for-8 in the fourth quarter and in overtime. Nassib finished 20-for-28 with 178 yards.
“When we get hot and get on a role, we can have that kind of production,” Syracuse coach Doug Marrone said during his weekly press conference. “And that’s what we’re looking for. It’s not unrealistic to ask your quarterback to go 8-for-8. He’s capable of that as well as our receivers.”
One of the receivers Marrone was referring to was Van Chew, who had four receptions for 60 yards and the game winning touchdown in overtime. Chew laid out for a 4-yard score, capping a 22-point rally for the Orange.
“I saw the ball when it left Ryan [Nassib]’s hands and I knew it was a floater so I knew I’d have time to run over there and get it,” Chew said. “When I was probably three yards away from it I thought ‘I have a chance at the ball’ and just went for it.”
In hindsight, the throw wasn’t even by design.
“To be honest with you, I was just trying to throw it away,” Nassib said. “I just threw it where only Van could get it. I’ve been with him for quite some time and he makes those plays look easy doesn’t he?”
The same could be said about SU’s entire offense in the fourth quarter and in overtime. Nassib also found Adam Harris for a 2-yard strike to make it 29-21 with 8:26 left.
Less than two minutes later, Antwon Bailey broke loose for a 53-yard run that helped tie the game.
“We started clicking,” Nassib said. “Our offense realized the situation we were in and realized we had to start making plays.”
That is something Syracuse expects from Nassib the rest of the season.
“I’m excited about it, and [Nassib] did a very good job,” Marrone said. “But we have to continue that week in and week out.”
Corey Mallonee contributed to this article.
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval, Nate Pierre-Louis drawing high-major interest - October 20, 2014
- Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 7 — What we learned - October 20, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 7 - October 18, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Large group of recruits to attend Orange Madness - October 17, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: 2016 wing VJ King taking time with recruitment - October 16, 2014
- SNY.tv Syracuse podcast: Can football make a bowl; Previewing 2014-15 hoops - October 15, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Tyus Battle has ‘great visit’ at SU - October 14, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval, Jordan Tucker will be at Orange Madness - October 13, 2014
- Syracuse 20, Florida State 38 — What we learned - October 13, 2014
- Florida State Seminoles — 2014 Syracuse football scouting report - October 10, 2014