Scott Sidwell, executive senior associate athletics director at Syracuse University, will be leaving his post, someone with knowledge of the move said Tuesday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the source was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.
Sidwell, who is SU Athletics Director Daryl Gross’ chief fundraiser, will be accepting a position as head athletics director at the University of San Francisco, the source said. Chris Gedney, associate athletics director for major gifts, was mentioned as a possible replacement.
Sidwell joined the Orange staff in December 2005. Prior to coming to Syracuse, Sidwell had worked for Tulane University, the New Orleans Saints and the New Orleans Zephyrs.
The San Francisco Dons play in the West Coast Conference and have won 12 NCAA championships, one NIT championship and 42 WCC championships. Sidwell replaces Dr. Gary Nelson, who was the interim athletic director. Nelson replaced Debra Gore-Mann in September of 2010 after Gore-Mann resigned following the controversial hiring of Eddie Sutton.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017