A quick take on Syracuse’s 18-13 win over Albany:
How the game was won: It was the Tim Desko and Tommy Palasek show again. The two attackmen combined for eight goals as Syracuse (5-0) went into halftime with a commanding 9-3 lead en route to an 18-13 win. The margin would balloon to 18-9 with 7:53 left in the game as the Orange dominated all aspects of the game. It had a 37-21 advantage in ground balls, outshot the Great Danes 46-32 and also forced 19 Albany (3-2) turnovers. The final few minutes were ugly, as Albany dominated garbage time, scoring the last four goals. Ty Thompson led the Great Danes with three goals.
What it means: The Orange is off to its best start since the 2000 season when Syracuse opened at 7-0 en route to a 15-1 season and the national championship. Offensively, it was a great day for Syracuse, as it doubled its total output against Georgetown and set a season high in goals. The Orange improved to 9-0 all time against the Great Danes.
Brotherly love: If you remember back to Syracuse’s game against Army on Feb. 27, Syracuse attackman JoJo Marasco faced off against his brother, Matt, who played defense for the Black Knights. SU’s matchup against Albany again paired siblings against each other as senior midfielder Jeremy Thompson played his younger brother Miles, a freshman attackman. Miles ended up with a goal and an assist, while the elder brother scored two goals and had two assists, and, more importantly, won bragging rights.
Quote to Note: “We got a lot of guys who we wanted to get some game experience, and they did today. We gave up a few too many goals, more than we wanted to, but to get our younger guys some experience today, it was a good W for us.” – Syracuse coach John Desko during his post game press conference.
What’s next: The Orange will play Johns Hopkins at the Carrier Dome on Saturday. The Blue Jays improved to 5-1 on the year after a dominant 16-5 victory over UMBC in the Konica Minolta Face-Off Classic at M&T Bank Stadium on Saturday.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017