Syracuse guard Dion Waiters received the first “did not play” (DNP) of his career in Syracuse’s 76-70 loss to Marquette.
In Tuesday’s 90-68 loss against Seton Hall, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim removed Waiters from the game, and Waiters reportedly cursed at Boeheim as he walked toward the bench, according to a Syracuse radio host. It led to speculation throughout the week that Waiters had been suspended, though that rumor was flatly denied by Boeheim.
Waiters practiced with the team and made the trip with the team to Marquette. But during warm-ups, it became clear that Waiters wouldn’t play because he was only wearing the team’s practice T-shirt instead of his jersey. During some of Syracuse’s timeouts, Waiters stayed off to the side while the other players huddled.
Following he game, Boeheim was asked for the reason why Waiters didn’t play.
“He’s shooting 30 percent from the field, 30 percent from 3 and not playing good defense,’’ he said. “Other than that, I can’t think of any.’’
Boeheim’s statistical analysis was slightly off. Waiters is actually shooting 39 percent from the field in his first season with the Orange. Waiters had seen action in all 21 of Syracuse’s games.
In his absence, Boeheim promoted guard Mookie Jones to the rotation. Jones didn’t score in four minutes of action.
Syracuse also went with forward Kris Joseph at the top of the zone during stretches of the second half and also relied heavily on starting guards Scoop Jardine and Brandon Triche, who combined for 72 minutes of action.
Wesley Cheng is the Editor in Chief for The Juice Online.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016