During Syracuse’s 67-52 win over Cincinnati, the Orange crowd had a little green in it.
Soldiers from the 10th Mountain Division’s 3rd Brigade Combat Team were in attendance from nearby Fort Drum.
“We’re lucky to have people like this representing our country,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “To talk to those guys and see the kind of people these guys are was an unbelievable experience for me and our players.”
The soldiers had a chance to meet Syracuse coaches and players on Friday at the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center. Some of the soldiers played SU players in pickup games, and all of the players and soldiers had dinner together.
The entire division was shown on the big screen at the Carrier Dome during the game, and received a rousing ovation from the Syracuse crowd.
Boeheim himself received some orders from a commanding officer.
“The Colonel told me we better win,” Boeheim said. “I didn’t want to argue with him.”
Wesley Cheng is the Editor in Chief for The Juice Online.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017