The early signing period in college football begins on Wednesday, Dec. 21, and Syracuse currently has 14 high school and five college transfers committed. But there are plenty of recruiting battles the Orange will face, and here is a look at some of the major storylines heading into 2022 National Signing Day.
1. Will LaNorris Sellers sign with Syracuse or South Carolina?
South Florence (SC) High quarterback LaNorris Sellers has been committed to Syracuse since March, and prior to that, committed to current Syracuse offensive coordinator Jason Beck when he was the quarterbacks coach at Virginia in 2021. That relationship is being tested now, with South Carolina making a major push for Sellers. The Gamecocks offered Sellers in October and have made signifiant process since then, so much so that Sellers will reveal his decision in a ceremony on Friday. Sellers is a four-star quarterback according to the 247 Composite, and the No. 395th overall recruit in the 2023 class. Retaining Sellers would be a huge boost for Beck, who was just promoted to OC following the departure of Robert Anae to NC State.
» Related: JUCO linebacker Lonnie Rice commits to Syracuse
2. Will Vincent Carroll-Jackson flip to Nebraska?
After Sellers, Syracuse’s highest rated commitment in 2023 is Central Daulpin (PA) East offensive lineman Vincent Carroll-Jackson. The No. 698th rated player in his class, Carroll-Jackson committed to the Orange on Dec. 11 over offers from Nebraska, Rutgers, Florida, Georgia and Pitt, among others. But Nebraska is making a big push to try to flip Carroll-Jackson, and he took an official visit over the weekend that appears to have changed his mind. This is another recruiting battle that will likely go down to the wire and Carroll-Jackson will announce his decision on Tuesday at 3 p.m.
3. Can Syracuse make its own flips?
Over the weekend, Syracuse flipped 2023 Haymarket (VA) Battlefield defensive lineman Ty Gordon from Old Dominion. Another 2023 name to keep an eye out for is Trevion Mack, an offensive lineman from Irondale (MN) High, who committed to Northern Illinois in August. Syracuse offered him last week, and will be making a push to flip him.
» Related: 2023 DL Oluwademilade Omopariola discusses Syracuse commitment
4. Will Syracuse win other recruiting battles?
There are several other players Syracuse is recruiting who have not made decisions yet:
- 2023 Key West (Fla.) High offensive lineman Christopher Otto took an official visit to Syracuse on Dec. 9, but he also visited Florida State over the past weekend, and appears to be an FSU lean.
- Syracuse is also pursuing former Kent State commit Cruce Brookins. The Steel Valley (PA) High defensive back is a three-star prospect who is also considering Pitt and Cincinnati, though he is thought to be a Panther lean.
- The Orange received an official visit from Charlotee offensive lineman transfer Jordan Brown. The 6-foot-4, 315-pound tackle took OVs to Auburn, UCF and Syracuse, so the Orange is right in the thick of his recruitment.
- On Monday, Syracuse extended an offer to Southern Utah transfer offensive lineman Christy Nkanu, who has one season of eligibility left. UMass, Washington State and Toledo are among the schools to offer, and he’s also taken an official visit to Arizona.
5. What else is in store?
There are always a few surprises on NLI day. Prior to signing day in 2021, no one had heard the name Max Von Marburg. But Syracuse surprised everyone with the announcement, and Von Marburg spent most of 2022 as the team’s starting punter. Could the Orange have a similar surprise up their sleeve for this year?
For more Syracuse coverage, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and listen to our podcast.