With star guard Tyus Battle sidelined with a wrist injury against No. 11 St. Peter’s Prep on Friday at the Newark National Invitational, expectations were low for Gill St. Bernard’s. But Battle’s supporting players showed why coach Mergin Sina raves about them every chance he gets, fighting and nearly pulling off a victory before falling short, 55-50. “The kids don’t get enough credit,” Sina said. “Obviously without Tyus, they’ve been working extremely hard for the past two weeks. They knew they had to pick it up and they wanted to prove to people that, obviously Tyus, I’ve said this before, I think he’s the best player in the state. But they also want to prove that they’re out there as well and they play as a team.”
- With Tyus Battle sidelined, Gill St. Bernard’s battles against St. Peter’s
- Where does Orange class stand 2 days before national signing day?
- Tyler Ennis and CJ Fair earn ACC honors after performances against Duke
- NBA Rumors: Dion Waiters most likely player to be traded by Cleveland Cavaliers
- Could Boston Celtics be the perfect trading partner for Carmelo Anthony?
- Signing Day Stories: Donovan McNabb had Michael Vick all set on Syracuse
- Syracuse named snowiest city in the United States