We’ve got plenty of recruiting tidbits for you from the Syracuse football world on this July 4 Holiday update.
The biggest news in the last week was 2023 wide receiver Bryce Cohoon committing to Syracuse. The Maize (KS) High athlete is a two-sport star, and was the Kansas 5A state champion in the 100M. “From the moment I got there, they just made it feel like home,” Cohoon said in an interview with The Juice Online. He’s now the seventh member of the 2023 class.
The next commitment may come from Massachusetts offensive lineman Jayden Bass. The 2023 Springfield Central High prospect received an offer from Syracuse after his football camp performance on June 4, and then officially visited the Orange from June 24 – 26. Last week, two recruiting analysts from 247 Sports, including National Recruiting Analyst Brian Dohn, predicted Bass would commit to the Orange. No timeline has been set for the three-star prospect.
Also pay attention to Naquil Betrand‘s Twitter feed as he said he would have a “big announcement” later today. The Syracuse priority offensive lineman target took an official visit to Syracuse in late June and on Monday, and will likely trim his list of schools. Earlier in the year, he listed a top 10 of Syracuse, Texas A&M, Georgia, Kentucky, Auburn, Colorado, Syracuse, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Maryland and Boston College. The Philadelphia (PA) Northeast is currently a Colorado commit, but that commitment appears tenuous as the Orange and other teams continue to vie for his services. He’s rated three stars by 247 Sports and is the No. 20 recruit in Pennsylvania.
Three recruits that Syracuse pursued committed to other schools in the past week:
- 2023 wide receiver Josh Richards from East (NJ) Orange committed to Maryland last week after his official visit on the weekend of June 26. He was originally supposed to visit the Orange that weekend, but opted for the Terps.
- 2023 offensive lineman Eric King was also set to visit the same weekend, but he ended up committing to Temple last week. The St. Peter’s (NJ) Prep prospect has a three-star rating, and told 247 Sports’ Shawn Pastor he had initially wanted to commit to the Orange, but the offer was essentially pulled before he could visit.
- 2023 Chaminade-Madonna (Fla.) Prep offensive lineman Deandre Duffus committed to Maryland on Sunday. The three star OL had a final three of Maryland, Syracuse and Indiana. Other Power 5 offers included Colorado, Florida, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, Michigan State, NC State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Pitt, Tennessee, Texas A&M and West Virginia.
Meanwhile, Syracuse is looking ahead to future classes, and extended the following 2025 class last week:
- Jayden Sellers: Syracuse was the first school to offer the South (SC) Florence High wide receiver. The last name should ring a bell, as Jayden is the younger brother of 2023 Orange quarterback commit LaNorris Sellers. It’s his first offer so far.
- Taevion Swint: Syracuse is the latest P5 school to offer the running back from Osceola (Fla.) High. Florida, FSU, Michigan, West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Ole’ Miss are some of the schools that are on his offer list.
- Jourdin Houston: Syracuse offered Houston, a WR/DB from Christ (NY) the King. He also holds an offer from Temple.
In the basketball world, Syracuse is the latest to offer Hudson Catholic (NJ) combo guard Elijah Gertrude. Among the schools pursuing the 2023 guard are St. John’s, Seton Hall, Virginia and Rutgers. He told 247 Sports’ Dushawn London that he’s planning on commiting in October.