For those of you who have been reading The Juice Online’s football previews, you’ll notice that there’s a “fearless prediction” of how we thought the game would go.
Turns out, I was this close to correctly predicting Syracuse’s season opener against Wake Forest. The Orange won a thriller in overtime, 36-29, which was a combined two points off my original prediction. While I’m not exactly driving out to my nearest Lotto seller, it’s worth looking at the staff predictions again for this season:
- Week 1 (Wes Cheng) – Syracuse 35, Wake Forest 28.
- Week 2 (Wes Cheng) – Syracuse 52, Rhode Island, 10.
- Week 3 (Scott Jamieson) – USC 31, Syracuse 13.
- Week 4 (Mike Chandler) – Syracuse 27, Toledo 13.
- Week 5 (Mike Chandler) – Syracuse 31, Rutgers 24.
- Week 6 (Brad Bierman) – Syracuse 30, Tulane 17.
- Week 7 (Jeff Irvine) – West Virginia 31, Syracuse 17.
- Week 8 (Wes Cheng) – Syracuse 28, Louisville 24.
- Week 9 (Micah Tannenbaum) – Connecticut 21, Syracuse 17.
- Week 10 (Wes Cheng) – South Florida 17, Syracuse 13.
- Week 11 (Wes Cheng) – Syracuse 31, Cincinnati 24.
- Week 12 (Dan Brannigan) – Pittsburgh 35, Syracuse 14.
For those of you counting at home, we’re predicting that Syracuse goes 7-5 this season with a 3-4 record in the Big East. That will make Syracuse bowl eligible, putting them somewhere in the vicinity of the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl (assuming in this calculation that the Big East doesn’t like teams playing in the same bowl games for consecutive years – sorry, Pinstripe Bowl).
Of course, the predictions are exactly that. Not many people were predicting Syracuse’s return to relevance last season, so it’ll be interesting to see how the rest of the season shapes up. Here’s to a great football season!
Wesley Cheng is the managing editor of The Juice Online. You can reach him at email@example.com.