A quick take on Syracuse’s 71-62 win over Iona on Tuesday night at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: With 5:37 left, Syracuse was clinging to a two point lead before a pair of Tyus Battle jumpers ignited a 7-0 run that finally allowed Syracuse to take control. The Orange never led by double digits until late, but managed to hold off the feisty and undersized Gaels to move to 2-0 on the season.
ANALYSIS: In just its second game of the season, the Orange passed a tough test. The Gaels won the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference last season and played as a No. 14 seed in the NCAA Tournament and most prognosticators have them competing for another Tournament bid in 2018. Syracuse played an aggressive game and got into the double bonus with over nine minutes left in the second half, but as per a familiar bugaboo, shot just 13-22 at the line, which kept the game close.
HERO: Tyus Battle set a career high with 28 points, and his backcourt mate Frank Howard added 15 points and four assists. Rickey McGill led the Gaels with 21 points, including five 3-pointers.
ZERO: Though SU had a significant size advantage, it still surrendered 10 offensive rebounds. It’s also early in the season so the Orange was sloppy, turning the ball over 15 times.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse begins the Hoophall Miami Invitational by hosting Texas Southern on Saturday, Nov. 18 at 7 p.m. TV: ACC Network Extra.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017