A quick take on Syracuse’s humiliating 64-43 loss to Wake Forest on Saturday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: Up 17 coming out of halftime, Syracuse’s defense completely imploded in the second half, giving up 40 points in a disappointing loss. Tight end Cam Serigne’s six-yard touchdown reception with 7:17 left came in direct response to a Zach Mahoney interception, and Matt Colburn added a 76-yard run at the 2:00 mark sealed a remarkable turnaround.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse had come into the game allowing just 24.9 points a game, 13.7 fewer than it did in 2016. But Brian Ward’s defense took a beating against the Deacons, allowing 363 passing yards and 237 yards on the ground to Colburn. The Orange defense had also been stout on third downs, leading the country in third-down defense (.220). But the defense allowed eight of 16 conversions on third down, and 2-2 on fourth down.
HERO: John Wolford terrorized the defense, throwing for 363 yards and three touchdowns, while rushing for another 136 yards and three scores on the ground. His favorite target was Serigne, who hauled in all three of his touchdowns.
ZERO: Syracuse’s bowl hopes, once high after an improbable win over No. 2 Clemson, are now in peril. The Orange stand at 4-6, and will need to win at Louisville and then at home against Boston College to close the season to play in December.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse heads out to Louisville to take on the Cardinals on Saturday, Nov. 18 at 3:30 p.m. TV: ESPN2/ESPNU.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017