A quick take on Syracuse’s 77-45 domination over Cornell in the season opener Friday night at the Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse opened up Jim Boeheim’s 42nd season by starting slow and finishing strong to pull away from the Big Red. Eight of the nine Orange scholarship players were in the scoring column, led by the reliable Tyus Battle’s game high 18 points.
ANALYSIS: Imagine what the emotions had to be like for Jim Boeheim the father, as opposed to Jim Boeheim the head coach, as he watched his oldest son Jimmy stroke a three-pointer from the right corner to score the first points of the game. In fact, Jimmy Boeheim had the first five Big Red points for their largest lead of the game (5-2), and finished with 11 points and five boards. The ‘Cuse (1-0) turned up the defense over the final three minutes of the first half to change the game’s complexion, and wore Cornell (0-1) down with its better talent, especially guards Battle, Frank Howard, and grad transfer Geno Thorpe (in his Orange debut) finishing with a combined 39 points.
HERO: Freshman center Bourama Sidibe made a strong case to move into the starting lineup with active play at both ends during his 19 minutes of playing time. Sidibe finished with seven points, six rebounds, two blocks, and two steals.
ZERO: It took a while for the offense to get going after a sub 30% outside shooting performance in the first half, and 41% for the game, while SU was just 6 of 17 beyond the arc against an over-matched opponent.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse plays the second of six straight home games to open the season, meeting in-state opponent Iona (0-1) next Tuesday night, Nov. 14 at the Dome. The Gaels opened up their season Friday night losing at Albany 69-67. The teams last met in 2010, and SU is 4-0 in the all-time series. Game Time: 7:00 p.m. ET / TV: ACC Network Extra.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Cornell 45 - November 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: Revamped roster for Syracuse basketball will need time to bloom - November 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Seeking a ‘November to Remember’ for Syracuse Football - October 31, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse picked 10th in the ACC - October 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Yearning for ACC football division reconfiguration - October 24, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017