Syracuse graduate transfer Geno Thorpe saw his first action of the season in a 84-59 win over Southern Connecticut State, finishing with six points, four assists and four steals in 22 minutes off the bench.
Thorpe had missed SU’s first exhibition game as well as the Orange-White scrimmage with an ankle injury, and had only practiced a handful of times in the past two weeks.
Thorpe showed plenty of rust in the first half, shooting just 1 for 3 from the field, while not recording a single assist or rebound.
“Geno doesn’t have his push off his ankle yet,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “He’s just had a couple days of practice, so it’ll take him a little while, but he’ll be alright and he’ll get there.”
It was a significantly better second half for the USF transfer, as he scored four points, dished out four assists and added a pair of steals in 13 minutes.
Teammates Oshae Brissett and Tyus Battle commended Thorpe’s talents both offensively and defensively, mentioning his ability to hit shots, defend well, and attack the basket.
“He’s a good defender and he’s a great addition to the team,” Battle said.
But Boeheim was hesitant to predict to when Thorpe would be back to full speed.
“We have to wait until he gets healthy and gets more practice in,” Boeheim said. “He’s a pretty good shooter and he’s good with the ball. He doesn’t have his explosiveness and he needs that.”
- Geno Thorpe makes Syracuse debut in win over Southern Connecticut State - November 7, 2017
- Syracuse rallies in second half to defeat Southern Connecticut State, 84-59 - November 7, 2017
- Dungey shines in Syracuse football’s season opener against CCSU - September 4, 2017
- We ‘don’t know’ the seriousness of Syracuse safety Antwan Cordy’s injury, Babers says - September 3, 2017
- Desko not pleased with Syracuse lacrosse’s decisions in narrow win over Binghamton - April 24, 2017
- With Ben Williams out, Syracuse lacrosse loses first game of season to Army - February 26, 2017
- Syracuse basketball displays poise, moxie in win over Wake Forest - January 26, 2017
- Syracuse shows cohesion in final tune-up before NCAA Tournament - May 8, 2016
- Nine different players score as Syracuse races past Albany, 16-7 - February 22, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse notebook: Donahue returns; SU needs experience - February 8, 2016