Syracuse will finish its 2017-18 basketball preseason campaign on Monday evening against Southern Connecticut State. Ahead of the game, here are three things to look out for.
WILL GENO THROPE PLAY?
Graduate transfer guard Geno Thorpe injured his ankle in mid-October prior to the Orange scrimmage and was held out of SU’s 84-54 win over Southern New Hampshire in the exhibition opener.
Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said that even after two weeks, Thorpe wasn’t able to put any weight on it or run.
Thrope offered a different assessment to Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters. “I’ll probably be participating in the next exhibition game,” he said.
If Thorpe was correct, he’ll be logging minutes for the first time tonight.
Thorpe is a key component for the Orange this season. He serves as an insurance policy at point guard if Frank Howard continues his struggles, and also will be one of the Orange’s sharpshooters from beyond the arc.
CAN BRISSETT KEEP IT UP?
Oshae Brissett played like a veteran against Southern New Hampshire, stuffing the stat sheet in 27 minutes of action.
Brissett scored 17 points, several of them on impressive attacks on the basket. But he also showed a deft shooting touch, hitting a pair from distance, while also hauling down 11 rebounds.
With Taurean Thompson and Tyler Lydon no longer in Orange uniforms, Brissett will be one of the Orange’s top playmakers this season and Monday evening will be another opportunity for Brissett to showcase his skills.
WHO WILL START?
In SU’s first preseason game, Boeheim went with a starting lineup of Matt Moyer, Brissett, Paschal Chukwu, Frank Howard and Tyus Battle.
If Thorpe is healthy enough to play, who would he bump from the lineup? Moyer seems like the most obvious candidate.
Could Boeheim also go with Marek Dolezaj as a starter? Moyer played 28 minutes and grabbed 10 rebounds, while Dolezaj played 20 minutes and finished with four points and five steals.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017