A quick take on Syracuse’s frustrating 27-19 loss against Miami, on a warm (83 degrees at kickoff) and humid (78%) afternoon in suburban Miami:
WHAT HAPPENED: SU failed to defeat two Top Ten teams in consecutive games for the first time in program history, unable to come back in the second half after trailing 13-3 at halftime. A gutsy Eric Dungey took a licking but kept ticking, guiding the Orange back in the second half more with his feet (125 yards rushing), than arm (13 of 41 for 137 yards). Cole Murphy booted four field goals, including a career-best from 53 yards, to keep Syracuse (4-4, 2-2) in the game until the final Miami (6-0, 4-0) drive resulted in the the clinching Travis Homer 33 yard touchdown run with 2:48 to play.
ANALYSIS: While the Orange defense again played a stout game most of the day, the offense seemed a step or two out of sync on the slippery grass field at Hard Rock Stadium, especially as compared to the fast track inside the Dome. The depleted SU secondary, missing three starters due to injuries, struggled to contain the UM passing game in the second half.
HERO: Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was inconsistent at times, but when he needed to preserve a 20-19 lead late, he calmly led UM down the field that ended in Homer’s touchdown run and final dagger in SU’s back. Rosier was 26 of 43 in the air for 344 yards and two touchdown passes.
ZERO: So close, yet so far to establishing another program milestone with consecutive wins over Top Ten teams, in an otherwise gallant effort to pull of the upset. SU just couldn’t stop the Hurricanes with the game on the line in the final five minutes.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse has its open week next weekend (October 28), before resuming play at Florida State on November 4. FSU is now just 2-4 after losing Saturday at home to Louisville 31-28. The game time and television coverage are to be announced by the ACC office on Monday, Oct. 23.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Cornell 45 - November 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: Revamped roster for Syracuse basketball will need time to bloom - November 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Seeking a ‘November to Remember’ for Syracuse Football - October 31, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse picked 10th in the ACC - October 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Yearning for ACC football division reconfiguration - October 24, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017