As Syracuse gets closer to opening its 2017-18 season, we take a look at the best and worst case scenarios for each player.
Best Case: Howard develops a reliable outside jumper and becomes a consistent distributor, while wreaking havoc with his length at the top of the zone.
Worst Case: Howard’s junior season mirrors his sophomore year, and he loses his starting point guard job to Geno Thorpe.
Best Case: Thorpe steps into Andrew White’s shoes as a top ACC scorer and pushes himself into NBA draft consideration.
Worst Case: The guards around Thorpe don’t develop as quickly as hoped, and Thorpe is asked to take on too much of the burden like he did in his time at USF.
Best Case: Battle becomes Syracuse’s best scorer in the last five years and keeps Syracuse’s streak of first round NBA selections alive.
Worst Case: He struggles with his outside shot and isn’t quite ready to handle the alpha dog scoring role on the team.
Best Case: The heady point guard shows flashes of Tyler Ennis, always making the right pass and taking the smart shot as a backup point guard.
Worst Case: Washington is in over his head against bigger ACC guards and struggles to find a spot in the rotation.
Paschal Chukwu & Bourama Sidibe
Best Case: Chukwu and Sidibe form SU’s best 1-2 center punch since Arinze Onuaku and Rick Jackson, averaging a combined 3+ blocks per game.
Worst Case: Neither fully figures out the defensive scheme like Chinonso Obokoh and both struggle at everything on the offensive end outside of dunking.
Oshae Brissett, Matthew Moyer & Marek Dolezaj
Best Case: All three prove to have underrated offensive games and display a deft outside touch to ease the scoring burden from Thorpe and Battle. The trio also picks up the zone quickly and easily.
Worst Case: Their outside shots never materialize and all three get muscled around (Dolezaj is listed as 6’9″, 180) against bigger, stronger opponents in conference play.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017