Item: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer breaks out a victory cigar inside the smoke-free Dome immediately following his Blue Raiders upset win over the Orange.
One word: Classless.
Following Middle Tennessee’s 30-23 upset win against Syracuse at the Carrier Dome on Saturday, former Orange head coach Scott Shafer was seen smoking a cigar in the bowels of his old stomping grounds.
It’s understandable that Shafer would relish the opportunity to return to a school that fired him just two years ago. And to his credit, Shafer called a brilliant defensive game, holding a normally high-powered Syracuse offense to 308 yards of total offense, and just 182 yards through the air.
His aggressive blitzing style of defense flustered and frustrated SU quarterback Eric Dungey, who was forced to absorb five sacks.
But save the cigar celebration for the privacy of your locker room or bus trip to the airport.
Why stick it in the face of the majority of those that supported you during your somewhat successful run as Doug Marrone’s defensive coordinator, and not-so-successful 14-23 mark as head coach?
Or, better yet, save it for the person officially responsible for your dismissal from the university, former AD Mark Coyle, if your team pulls off the shocker at 2-0 Minnesota this weekend in front of Coyle and company outdoors at TCF Bank Stadium.
A shocking move from a coach that, when he walked up to assume his bird’s eye view of the Carrier Dome, was treated to a standing ovation by Syracuse fans that he passed.
It was a Bush League move, period.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Cornell 45 - November 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: Revamped roster for Syracuse basketball will need time to bloom - November 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Seeking a ‘November to Remember’ for Syracuse Football - October 31, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse picked 10th in the ACC - October 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Yearning for ACC football division reconfiguration - October 24, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017