Though Syracuse easily dispatched Central Connecticut State, 50-7, on Friday evening, it may have suffered a huge loss.
Syracuse lost safety Antwan Cordy in the first quarter to an apparent lower-right leg injury. Cordy would later return on the sidelines in a walking boot and on crutches.
Syracuse coach Dino Babers offered little insight into Cordy’s injury.
“We don’t know what’s wrong,” Babers said. “We’re trying to hope for the best. So I don’t even want to talk about the other part of it.”
Syracuse lost Cordy in the second game of the 2016 season after he broke his arm in a loss against Louisville.
With Cordy sidelined, Babers went with Toledo graduate transfer Jordan Martin, a converted defensive back.
Martin filled in nicely, helping the Orange to hold the Blue Devils to just 113 yards passing. In his redshirt junior season at Toledo, Martin played in all 13 games, finishing with 24 tackles, including 17 solo stops.
Martin offered praise for Cordy after the win.
“He sets the tone for us and his play speaks for itself,” Martin said. “He raises the temperature for all of us.”
- Dungey shines in Syracuse football’s season opener against CCSU - September 4, 2017
- We ‘don’t know’ the seriousness of Syracuse safety Antwan Cordy’s injury, Babers says - September 3, 2017
- Desko not pleased with Syracuse lacrosse’s decisions in narrow win over Binghamton - April 24, 2017
- With Ben Williams out, Syracuse lacrosse loses first game of season to Army - February 26, 2017
- Syracuse basketball displays poise, moxie in win over Wake Forest - January 26, 2017
- Syracuse shows cohesion in final tune-up before NCAA Tournament - May 8, 2016
- Nine different players score as Syracuse races past Albany, 16-7 - February 22, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse notebook: Donahue returns; SU needs experience - February 8, 2016
- Jordan Evans, Nick Piroli lead Syracuse to win in final exhibition game - February 8, 2016
- Syracuse guard Brittney Sykes persevered through second ACL tear - December 2, 2015