The Orange survived herculean efforts from Yale’s Ben Reeves and Conor Mackie. Reeves led Yale with four goals and added two assists, including two unassisted goals midway through the fourth quarter to tie the game at 10.
Mackie dominated at the X, winning 18 of 22 faceoffs, helping Yale to a 42-29 advantage in shots. Ben Williams struggled through a 1-12 performance, causing Syracuse head coach John Desko to switch in Dan Varello. He was only marginally better, going 3-10 at the X.
But Syracuse, which has been in close games all season, was nonplussed. Down 7-4 with 13:39 left in the third quarter, the Orange would score six of the next seven goals to take a 10-8 lead with 8:19 left to go. SU flexed its balanced attack, with six different players scoring.
Jordan Evans and Nick Mariano led Syracuse with three points each.
Syracuse will play Towson on Sunday at noon in the NCAA Quarterfinals in Delaware, which will be aired on ESPN2. Towson defeated Penn State, 12-8, in the opening round.
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Tournament: A look at Syracuse lacrosse’s first round matchup against Yale - May 11, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse will finish off regular season with trip to Colgate - May 5, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rallies, but falls short against North Carolina - May 1, 2017
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017