The Orange survived herculean efforts from Yale’s Ben Reeves and Conor Mackie. Reeves led Yale with four goals and added two assists, including two unassisted goals midway through the fourth quarter to tie the game at 10.
Mackie dominated at the X, winning 18 of 22 faceoffs, helping Yale to a 42-29 advantage in shots. Ben Williams struggled through a 1-12 performance, causing Syracuse head coach John Desko to switch in Dan Varello. He was only marginally better, going 3-10 at the X.
But Syracuse, which has been in close games all season, was nonplussed. Down 7-4 with 13:39 left in the third quarter, the Orange would score six of the next seven goals to take a 10-8 lead with 8:19 left to go. SU flexed its balanced attack, with six different players scoring.
Jordan Evans and Nick Mariano led Syracuse with three points each.
Syracuse will play Towson on Sunday at noon in the NCAA Quarterfinals in Delaware, which will be aired on ESPN2. Towson defeated Penn State, 12-8, in the opening round.
- Tim Welsh calls Syracuse an NCAA Tournament team that could play into second weekend - December 9, 2017
- Matt Moyer gives Syracuse basketball hope after disappointing start - December 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Connecticut 63 - December 5, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Kansas 72 - December 2, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Maryland 70 - November 27, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017