Jordan Tucker, one of the top remaining recruits in the 2017 class, committed to Duke on Saturday at noon.
The 6-foot-7 wing out of Marietta (Ga.) Wheeler had narrowed his choices down to Duke and Syracuse, and had visited the Blue Devils earlier in the week.
Syracuse has three committed players in its 2017 class, including center Bourama Sidibe, wing Oshae Brissett and guard Howard Washington.
Syracuse swung and missed on another top recruit in the 2017 class.
Originally, Kevin Knox was on track to head to the Blue Devils before he changed course and committed to Kentucky. With an available scholarship, Duke offered Tucker, who had decided on Syracuse over Georgia Tech earlier in the week.
There are plenty of similarities to Syracuse’s recruitment of Quade Greene, who initially had Syracuse in the lead before he committed to Kentucky. It also raises fears that SU’s recruiting will slow down after its lead recruiter, Mike Hopkins, took the head coaching position at Washington.
Other options for Syracuse include wing Sid Wilson, who recently reclassified to 2017. The Orange could also jump in the graduate transfer market again, as SU expressed has interest in Geno Thorpe, a 6-foot-4 guard from USF.
Syracuse’s 2017-18 roster is far from complete.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017