Syracuse goalie Evan Molloy’s kick save on a shot by Griffin Konen with 11 seconds left allowed the Orange to hold off Binghamton, 9-8, at the Carrier Dome on Saturday afternoon.
Marcus Cunningham emerged with the loose ball to run out the clock, as the Orange once again notched a one-goal win, its ninth such contest of the season. SU has won eight of those games, and heads into the ACC Tournament with an 11-1 record, and its No. 1 ranking intact.
Tom Moore nearly single-handedly willed the unranked Bearcats to an improbable win, scoring five goals, the last of which pulled Binghamton to within one goal with 2:38 remaining.
Moore was a thorn in SU’s side all afternoon. Each time SU appeared to have seized momentum, the senior attackman would score.
Moore’s third goal with 5:10 left in the first half gave Binghamton a brief 5-4 lead. His fourth goal would tie the game at six before TJ Tiernan’s goal gave the Bearcats a 7-6 lead, something they would protect through most of the third quarter.
But Jamie Trimboli’s unassisted goal with just under eight minutes left in the final quarter proved to be the game-winning goal.
It made up for an unusually quiet game for midfielder Sergio Salcido, who was held scoreless on two shots. Jordan Evans notched a hat trick to lead Syracuse, while Ben Williams became SU’s all time faceoffs wins leader at 626, though he won just 8-of-20 at the X.
Syracuse returns to action on Friday, April 28 in the ACC Championship against No. 4 seed North Carolina. The Orange edged the Tar Heels on April 15, 12-11 in Chapel Hill.
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Tournament: A look at Syracuse lacrosse’s first round matchup against Yale - May 11, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse will finish off regular season with trip to Colgate - May 5, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rallies, but falls short against North Carolina - May 1, 2017
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017