Sergio Salcido netted a hat trick, and Syracuse scored five unanswered goals in the fourth quarter and overtime to win another one-goal game, squeaking out a 12-11 win at Chapel Hill on Saturday afternoon.
Though Syracuse has played in eight one-goal games this season, it didn’t appear that it would be involved in another after William Perry’s man-up goal with 5:26 left in the third quarter gave the Tar Heels a 10-5 lead.
But Nate Solomon’s unassisted goal less than a minute later proved to be the impetus for seven of the next eight goals as the Orange improved to 10-1 on the season, and a perfect 4-0 in conference play.
The win also clinched the ACC regular season title for the Orange, who will retain the No. 1 ranking heading into next week. The previous six No. 1 teams held the ranking for only a week.
Ben Williams continued his improved play, going 15-25 at the X. He won a faceoff with under two minutes left to set up the equalizer by Paolo Ciferri with 1:19 to go. In overtime, Williams again won a critical faceoff, this time setting up Sergio Salcido for the game-winner.
Luke Goldstock led UNC with a hat trick, while SU’s Stephen Rehfuss tied his career-high with four points on two goals and two assists.
Syracuse returns to action next Saturday against Binghamton at the Carrier Dome for a 2 p.m. start. The game will be televised on the ACC Network Extra, and it will be Senior Day.
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017