Sergio Salcido netted a hat trick, and Syracuse scored five unanswered goals in the fourth quarter and overtime to win another one-goal game, squeaking out a 12-11 win at Chapel Hill on Saturday afternoon.
Though Syracuse has played in eight one-goal games this season, it didn’t appear that it would be involved in another after William Perry’s man-up goal with 5:26 left in the third quarter gave the Tar Heels a 10-5 lead.
But Nate Solomon’s unassisted goal less than a minute later proved to be the impetus for seven of the next eight goals as the Orange improved to 10-1 on the season, and a perfect 4-0 in conference play.
The win also clinched the ACC regular season title for the Orange, who will retain the No. 1 ranking heading into next week. The previous six No. 1 teams held the ranking for only a week.
Ben Williams continued his improved play, going 15-25 at the X. He won a faceoff with under two minutes left to set up the equalizer by Paolo Ciferri with 1:19 to go. In overtime, Williams again won a critical faceoff, this time setting up Sergio Salcido for the game-winner.
Luke Goldstock led UNC with a hat trick, while SU’s Stephen Rehfuss tied his career-high with four points on two goals and two assists.
Syracuse returns to action next Saturday against Binghamton at the Carrier Dome for a 2 p.m. start. The game will be televised on the ACC Network Extra, and it will be Senior Day.
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017