Syracuse lacrosse finally got a respite from one-goal games on Wednesday, easily dispatching rival Hobart, 17-11, to retain the Kraus-Simmons Trophy.
The Orange never trailed in its second largest margin of victory on the season, opening up a 4-1 lead midway through the first quarter. Of those four initial goals, Nick Marino assisted on one and scored on another, en route to a career-high seven points.
But the pesky Statesmen challenged the Orange, keeping pace until early in the fourth quarter. Each time SU opened up a lead of four or more goals, Hobart would respond pulling within 4-3, 7-5, 9-7 and 13-10 at various points of the game.
But after John Tanner’s goal with 8:52 left in the fourth quarter, Syracuse would score three unanswered goals to take a 16-10 lead with 6:24 left, eliminating the possibility of an eighth straight one-goal contest. The teams would exchange goals in garbage time before SU closed out its 75th win in the 104-game series between the two teams.
Aside from the career night for Marino, Evan Molloy notched a career-best 17 saves, while Nate Solomon’s four goals were also a career best.
Marino was particularly effective in man-up opportunities, with three of his four goals coming in those situations. On the day, the Orange was 5-for-5 with the extra attacker.
Frank Brown led Hobart with three goals, while SU’s Ben Williams was 17-28 at the X.
Syracuse returns to action on Tuesday against Cornell at 7 p.m. in the Carrier Dome.
- Scoop Bradshaw — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: NJ wide receiver Taj Harris commits to Syracuse - June 26, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017
- Central Michigan Chippewas — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 22, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse receives commitment from OL Will Froumy - June 21, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Cole Swider to visit Syracuse, Anthony Queeley commits - June 19, 2017
- Antwan Cordy — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 14, 2017
- Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 12, 2017
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands USF transfer Geno Thorpe - June 12, 2017