Former Syracuse basketball player Andrew Kouwe calls in to chat about Jim Boeheim, Mike Hopkins, and the future of Syracuse basketball with Wes Cheng on The Juice on the Cuse Podcast hosted by SNY.tv. The Juice Online Editor in Chief Brad Bierman also calls in after to talk about Boeheim’s future.
Here are the highlights from the show:
Wes Cheng: Mike Hopkins announcing that he’s leaving for the University of Washington, and Syracuse announcing Jim Boeheim getting a contract extension. As a former player, what were the thoughts that went through your mind when you heard the news?
Andrew Kouwe: For me it was mixed emotions. Coach Hopkins, you feel happy for him because of how he gave everything to Syracuse. He wanted to be a head coach. You’re happy for him, but you’re sad from a Syracuse program standpoint because you’re losing a great talent. Coach Hopkins was really important for me, making me a better basketball coach from high school to college.
WC: Let’s shift from Mike Hopkins to Jim Boeheim. When is he going to retire? Is he going to coach until he’s 100?
AK: He has such a love of basketball. You hear stories how he’s watching Atlantic 10 games at 10 p.m. He’s got such a competitive nature. As long as he still enjoys practice every day, going out on the road, as time goes on, if you have that competitive fire in him, which it still seems he have, it doesn’t seem like he has to retire in 2-3 years. If he still has it in his system, why not?
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
1. Former Syracuse basketball player Andrew Kouwe calls in
2. Hopkins leaving
3. How long will Boeheim stay?
4. Timeline of events
5. Who is the next assitant coach?
6. The Juice Online Editor in Chief Brad Bierman calls in
7. How big of a loss is Hopkins?
8. What does the future hold for Jim Boeheim?
9. Closing Thoughts and Wrap Up
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017