Syracuse midfielder Nick Mariano scored with 38 seconds left to send the game to overtime, and Brendan Bomberry scored a game winner with 2:58 in the extra frame as the No. 6 Orange defeated No. 14 Johns Hopkins in a thriller.
It didn’t appear that overtime would be necessary in the third quarter after Nate Solomon’s unassisted goal with 10:10 left gave SU a 5-2 lead in a low scoring game. But the Jays would rattle off five of the next six goals to take a 7-6 lead with 5:58 remaining.
That lead appeared to stretch to two goals after Joel Tinney slipped the ball past Evan Molloy with around two minutes remaining, but the referees waived off a Johns Hopkins goal after a calling a crease violation.
That proved to be the window the Orange needed.
On the ensuing possession, Jamie Trimboli drew a double-team and found Marino for a picturesque over the shoulder goal for the equalizer. That led to Ben Williams winning his ninth faceoff in 18 attempts on the afternoon in overtime that turned into the game-winner.
It was the Orange’s fifth straight one-goal contest, and SU’s fourth win of that kind. The streak of five games ties an SU record set by the 2013 team.
Solomon and Mariano each scored a pair of goals to lead Syracuse, while Molloy added seven saves.
Syracuse returns to the Carrier Dome to host Duke on March 25 at 1:30 p.m.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017