Syracuse midfielder Nick Mariano scored with 38 seconds left to send the game to overtime, and Brendan Bomberry scored a game winner with 2:58 in the extra frame as the No. 6 Orange defeated No. 14 Johns Hopkins in a thriller.
It didn’t appear that overtime would be necessary in the third quarter after Nate Solomon’s unassisted goal with 10:10 left gave SU a 5-2 lead in a low scoring game. But the Jays would rattle off five of the next six goals to take a 7-6 lead with 5:58 remaining.
That lead appeared to stretch to two goals after Joel Tinney slipped the ball past Evan Molloy with around two minutes remaining, but the referees waived off a Johns Hopkins goal after a calling a crease violation.
That proved to be the window the Orange needed.
On the ensuing possession, Jamie Trimboli drew a double-team and found Marino for a picturesque over the shoulder goal for the equalizer. That led to Ben Williams winning his ninth faceoff in 18 attempts on the afternoon in overtime that turned into the game-winner.
It was the Orange’s fifth straight one-goal contest, and SU’s fourth win of that kind. The streak of five games ties an SU record set by the 2013 team.
Solomon and Mariano each scored a pair of goals to lead Syracuse, while Molloy added seven saves.
Syracuse returns to the Carrier Dome to host Duke on March 25 at 1:30 p.m.
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017