Syracuse midfielder Nick Mariano scored with 38 seconds left to send the game to overtime, and Brendan Bomberry scored a game winner with 2:58 in the extra frame as the No. 6 Orange defeated No. 14 Johns Hopkins in a thriller.
It didn’t appear that overtime would be necessary in the third quarter after Nate Solomon’s unassisted goal with 10:10 left gave SU a 5-2 lead in a low scoring game. But the Jays would rattle off five of the next six goals to take a 7-6 lead with 5:58 remaining.
That lead appeared to stretch to two goals after Joel Tinney slipped the ball past Evan Molloy with around two minutes remaining, but the referees waived off a Johns Hopkins goal after a calling a crease violation.
That proved to be the window the Orange needed.
On the ensuing possession, Jamie Trimboli drew a double-team and found Marino for a picturesque over the shoulder goal for the equalizer. That led to Ben Williams winning his ninth faceoff in 18 attempts on the afternoon in overtime that turned into the game-winner.
It was the Orange’s fifth straight one-goal contest, and SU’s fourth win of that kind. The streak of five games ties an SU record set by the 2013 team.
Solomon and Mariano each scored a pair of goals to lead Syracuse, while Molloy added seven saves.
Syracuse returns to the Carrier Dome to host Duke on March 25 at 1:30 p.m.
- Tim Welsh calls Syracuse an NCAA Tournament team that could play into second weekend - December 9, 2017
- Matt Moyer gives Syracuse basketball hope after disappointing start - December 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Connecticut 63 - December 5, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 60, Kansas 72 - December 2, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Maryland 70 - November 27, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017