Syracuse midfielder Nick Mariano scored with 38 seconds left to send the game to overtime, and Brendan Bomberry scored a game winner with 2:58 in the extra frame as the No. 6 Orange defeated No. 14 Johns Hopkins in a thriller.
It didn’t appear that overtime would be necessary in the third quarter after Nate Solomon’s unassisted goal with 10:10 left gave SU a 5-2 lead in a low scoring game. But the Jays would rattle off five of the next six goals to take a 7-6 lead with 5:58 remaining.
That lead appeared to stretch to two goals after Joel Tinney slipped the ball past Evan Molloy with around two minutes remaining, but the referees waived off a Johns Hopkins goal after a calling a crease violation.
That proved to be the window the Orange needed.
On the ensuing possession, Jamie Trimboli drew a double-team and found Marino for a picturesque over the shoulder goal for the equalizer. That led to Ben Williams winning his ninth faceoff in 18 attempts on the afternoon in overtime that turned into the game-winner.
It was the Orange’s fifth straight one-goal contest, and SU’s fourth win of that kind. The streak of five games ties an SU record set by the 2013 team.
Solomon and Mariano each scored a pair of goals to lead Syracuse, while Molloy added seven saves.
Syracuse returns to the Carrier Dome to host Duke on March 25 at 1:30 p.m.
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017
- Central Michigan Chippewas — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 22, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse receives commitment from OL Will Froumy - June 21, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Cole Swider to visit Syracuse, Anthony Queeley commits - June 19, 2017
- Antwan Cordy — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 14, 2017
- Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 12, 2017
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands USF transfer Geno Thorpe - June 12, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forwards Tyler Lydon, Andrew White with NBA scout - June 9, 2017
- Central Connecticut State Blue Devils — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 7, 2017