Syracuse midfielder Nick Mariano scored with 38 seconds left to send the game to overtime, and Brendan Bomberry scored a game winner with 2:58 in the extra frame as the No. 6 Orange defeated No. 14 Johns Hopkins in a thriller.
It didn’t appear that overtime would be necessary in the third quarter after Nate Solomon’s unassisted goal with 10:10 left gave SU a 5-2 lead in a low scoring game. But the Jays would rattle off five of the next six goals to take a 7-6 lead with 5:58 remaining.
That lead appeared to stretch to two goals after Joel Tinney slipped the ball past Evan Molloy with around two minutes remaining, but the referees waived off a Johns Hopkins goal after a calling a crease violation.
That proved to be the window the Orange needed.
On the ensuing possession, Jamie Trimboli drew a double-team and found Marino for a picturesque over the shoulder goal for the equalizer. That led to Ben Williams winning his ninth faceoff in 18 attempts on the afternoon in overtime that turned into the game-winner.
It was the Orange’s fifth straight one-goal contest, and SU’s fourth win of that kind. The streak of five games ties an SU record set by the 2013 team.
Solomon and Mariano each scored a pair of goals to lead Syracuse, while Molloy added seven saves.
Syracuse returns to the Carrier Dome to host Duke on March 25 at 1:30 p.m.
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Tournament: A look at Syracuse lacrosse’s first round matchup against Yale - May 11, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse will finish off regular season with trip to Colgate - May 5, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rallies, but falls short against North Carolina - May 1, 2017
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017