A quick take on Syracuse’s 85-80 loss to Ole Miss in the NIT second round at the Dome, ending the Orange season:
WHAT HAPPENED: In a first-ever meeting between the schools, Ole Miss (22-13) became the ninth SEC team (of 14) to play in the Dome, and using a mix of defenses and torrid three point shooting, knocked the Orange (19-15) out of the NIT. SU rallied from a seven point deficit in the final seven minutes behind Tyus Battle’s outside shooting (17 points), but the Rebels put the game away with late foul shots to advance to the NIT quarterfinals.
ANALYSIS: In a game of runs and three point bombs by both teams, the Rebels scored the first nine points of the second half to set the pace, and seemingly each time SU rallied to the tie the game, Ole Miss would score at the other end to keep the Orange at bay. Mississippi finished nearly 50% from beyond the arc, hitting 15 three pointers, while Andrew White III struggled from the field, not hitting his first shot from the perimeter until just over 6:00 to play.
HERO: Ole Miss sophomore guard Terence Davis was red hot from three point range hitting six, and shot nearly 80% overall from the field in leading the Rebels to advance with a game (and career) high 30 points.
ZERO: The Orange struggled to hit three point shots all afternoon ( 8 of 30), and when it needed a defensive stop to have possession to take the lead late, could not stop the Rebels from either lining up an open three, or from pounding the ball underneath to hit an easy shot or get to the foul line.
WHAT’S NEXT: The off season. After not playing in the NCAA Tournament in two of the last three seasons, with a Final Four appearance sandwiched in-between, there will be concern about making it back to the NCAAs next year, and the BIG question if Jim Boeheim will indeed return for the final season of his contract.
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball has rich history of first round NBA Draft selections - June 20, 2017
- Orange Watch: Another first in legendary career of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim - June 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Getting clear idea of future Syracuse football scheduling philosophy - June 6, 2017
- Orange Watch: It’s time to tweak a couple of rules in Division I men’s lacrosse - June 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: New early signing period huge change for Syracuse football recruiting - May 30, 2017
- Orange Watch: A refreshing of the roster for 2017-18 Syracuse basketball - May 25, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Towson 10 - May 21, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse lacrosse would simply like to get back to Final Four - May 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: For Syracuse football, no NFL draft selections is practically blasphemous - May 2, 2017
- Orange Watch: What’s in a name? Rare similarity for two Syracuse football players - April 25, 2017