A quick take on Syracuse’s 85-80 loss to Ole Miss in the NIT second round at the Dome, ending the Orange season:
WHAT HAPPENED: In a first-ever meeting between the schools, Ole Miss (22-13) became the ninth SEC team (of 14) to play in the Dome, and using a mix of defenses and torrid three point shooting, knocked the Orange (19-15) out of the NIT. SU rallied from a seven point deficit in the final seven minutes behind Tyus Battle’s outside shooting (17 points), but the Rebels put the game away with late foul shots to advance to the NIT quarterfinals.
ANALYSIS: In a game of runs and three point bombs by both teams, the Rebels scored the first nine points of the second half to set the pace, and seemingly each time SU rallied to the tie the game, Ole Miss would score at the other end to keep the Orange at bay. Mississippi finished nearly 50% from beyond the arc, hitting 15 three pointers, while Andrew White III struggled from the field, not hitting his first shot from the perimeter until just over 6:00 to play.
HERO: Ole Miss sophomore guard Terence Davis was red hot from three point range hitting six, and shot nearly 80% overall from the field in leading the Rebels to advance with a game (and career) high 30 points.
ZERO: The Orange struggled to hit three point shots all afternoon ( 8 of 30), and when it needed a defensive stop to have possession to take the lead late, could not stop the Rebels from either lining up an open three, or from pounding the ball underneath to hit an easy shot or get to the foul line.
WHAT’S NEXT: The off season. After not playing in the NCAA Tournament in two of the last three seasons, with a Final Four appearance sandwiched in-between, there will be concern about making it back to the NCAAs next year, and the BIG question if Jim Boeheim will indeed return for the final season of his contract.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Cornell 45 - November 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: Revamped roster for Syracuse basketball will need time to bloom - November 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Seeking a ‘November to Remember’ for Syracuse Football - October 31, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse picked 10th in the ACC - October 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Yearning for ACC football division reconfiguration - October 24, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017