A quick take on Syracuse’s 85-80 loss to Ole Miss in the NIT second round at the Dome, ending the Orange season:
WHAT HAPPENED: In a first-ever meeting between the schools, Ole Miss (22-13) became the ninth SEC team (of 14) to play in the Dome, and using a mix of defenses and torrid three point shooting, knocked the Orange (19-15) out of the NIT. SU rallied from a seven point deficit in the final seven minutes behind Tyus Battle’s outside shooting (17 points), but the Rebels put the game away with late foul shots to advance to the NIT quarterfinals.
ANALYSIS: In a game of runs and three point bombs by both teams, the Rebels scored the first nine points of the second half to set the pace, and seemingly each time SU rallied to the tie the game, Ole Miss would score at the other end to keep the Orange at bay. Mississippi finished nearly 50% from beyond the arc, hitting 15 three pointers, while Andrew White III struggled from the field, not hitting his first shot from the perimeter until just over 6:00 to play.
HERO: Ole Miss sophomore guard Terence Davis was red hot from three point range hitting six, and shot nearly 80% overall from the field in leading the Rebels to advance with a game (and career) high 30 points.
ZERO: The Orange struggled to hit three point shots all afternoon ( 8 of 30), and when it needed a defensive stop to have possession to take the lead late, could not stop the Rebels from either lining up an open three, or from pounding the ball underneath to hit an easy shot or get to the foul line.
WHAT’S NEXT: The off season. After not playing in the NCAA Tournament in two of the last three seasons, with a Final Four appearance sandwiched in-between, there will be concern about making it back to the NCAAs next year, and the BIG question if Jim Boeheim will indeed return for the final season of his contract.
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee highlights NCAA clock problem - September 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football coaches past and present match wits Saturday - September 5, 2017
- Orange Watch: The never-ending quest to find talent for Syracuse football - August 23, 2017
- Orange Watch: Dick MacPherson memorial service an elegant tribute to legendary persona - August 15, 2017
- Orange Watch: An honor to know, work with former Syracuse coach Dick MacPherson - August 9, 2017
- Orange Watch: It’s been 30 seasons since Syracuse’s 1987 undefeated Sugar Bowl journey - August 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: If Syracuse football can get to a bowl game, there are plenty of destinations - July 26, 2017