Nick Mariano scored two goals and added three assists, and Brad Voigt and Brendan Bomberry each added two goals as Syracuse survived a late rally from St. John’s for a 9-8 win on Saturday afternoon.
It was Syracuse’s fourth straight one-goal game, though it didn’t look like it would be that way at the start. Voigt started the scoring with 9:16 left in the first quarter, part of four goals within a minute span. Jordan Evan’s capped the four-goal spree with 8:16 left, as the Orange took a 5-1 lead after one quarter.
But St. John’s dominated possession in the second quarter and outshot the Orange 17-4. A Colin Duffy goal with 1:54 left before halftime pulled St. John’s to within 6-4.
Syracuse had appeared to put the game out of reach after Sergio Salcido scored unassisted to give the Orange a 9-6 lead late in the fourth quarter. But with 54 seconds left, Jackson O’Leary beat Evan Molloy to pull the Red Storm to within a goal. It was the third time in the half St. John’s had been that close.
Ben Williams won the ensuing faceoff, but Paolo Ciferri coughed up the ball with 35 seconds left, setting up Scott Scannell for a potential game-tying shot as time expired. But the shot went wide, and the Orange remained perfect against the Red Storm, upping its record to 11-0 against its former Big East rival.
Molloy recorded nine saves, while Williams won 13 of 20 faceoffs. Scannell and Nick Heller each had three points to lead St. John’s.
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 8, 2017