A quick take on Syracuse’s 90-61 blowout win against Georgia Tech on Senior Day at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: After Syracuse’s 12-point halftime lead was cut to 38-35 with 18:06 left in the second half, Andrew White led a furious Syracuse run that left it with a 70-46 lead with 7:56 to go. With the game in rout territory with 3:02 left, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim allowed SU fans to pay homage to senior Dajuan Coleman, who had only appeared in three other ACC games in his final season.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse got revenge for a six-point loss against the Yellow Jackets in February, and in the process, may have put the finishing touches on its NCAA resume. The win gave Syracuse 10 wins in conference play, and with wins against Virginia, FSU and Duke, all top-1o teams when SU defeated them, it appears to be enough. That said, Syracuse would be sweating a lot less on Selection Sunday if they add another win in the ACC Tournament in Brooklyn next week. ESPN Bracketologist Joe Lunardi (for what it’s worth) had SU has one of his last four byes prior to the conclusion. The Orange did it with torrid shooting from all areas of the floor, shooting 54 percent from the field and 15-23 from downtown.
HERO: White became the second player on Syracuse and the third overall ACC player to score 40 or more points this season, pouring in a career-high 40 points to surpass a previous career-high of 35 set when he was with Nebraska. Gillon previously scored 43 points against NC State. Battle added 22 for the Orange.
ZERO: Tadric Jackson was 1-7 from downtown, part of a 5-20 overall effort from GT.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will play in the ACC Tournament next week, as the No. 8 seed facing off against No. 9 Miami, on Wednesday at noon.
- McAnaney: Syracuse lacrosse a tough out because it is ‘battle tested’ - April 28, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017