A quick take on Syracuse’s 71-65 loss to Georgia Tech on Sunday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: A 12-0 Georgia Tech run midway through the second half gave the Yellow Jackets a 51-38 lead with 9:19 left in the second half. But the Orange, as has been the case all season, mounted a furious rally and pulled to within 67-65 with 56 seconds left seconds left. But a questionable illegal screen call on Tyler Roberson with 17 seconds left when Syracuse had a chance to tie torpedoed the rally, and Georgia Tech hit some free throws for the final margin.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse missed a golden opportunity to pad its NCAA resume with a fellow bubble team. At the start of the day, Syracuse was among the “Last Four In” according to bracketologist Joe Lundari, while Georgia Tech was among the last four out. It’s logical to think that for the time being, the two teams are switched. Georgia Tech was able to win thanks to a stymieing defense, which held John Gillon and Tyler Lydon to a combined 5-21 shooting from the field.
HERO: Ben Lammers dominated at both ends of the court for the Yellow Jackets, with 23 points, seven blocks and seven rebounds. For the Orange, Taurean Thompson’s 18 points led the way.
ZERO: Syracuse has lived and died by the 3-pointer this season, and on Sunday, it was 8-30 from beyond the arc.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse hosts Duke at the Carrier Dome on Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m. TV: ESPN.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017