A quick take on Syracuse’s 71-65 loss to Georgia Tech on Sunday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: A 12-0 Georgia Tech run midway through the second half gave the Yellow Jackets a 51-38 lead with 9:19 left in the second half. But the Orange, as has been the case all season, mounted a furious rally and pulled to within 67-65 with 56 seconds left seconds left. But a questionable illegal screen call on Tyler Roberson with 17 seconds left when Syracuse had a chance to tie torpedoed the rally, and Georgia Tech hit some free throws for the final margin.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse missed a golden opportunity to pad its NCAA resume with a fellow bubble team. At the start of the day, Syracuse was among the “Last Four In” according to bracketologist Joe Lundari, while Georgia Tech was among the last four out. It’s logical to think that for the time being, the two teams are switched. Georgia Tech was able to win thanks to a stymieing defense, which held John Gillon and Tyler Lydon to a combined 5-21 shooting from the field.
HERO: Ben Lammers dominated at both ends of the court for the Yellow Jackets, with 23 points, seven blocks and seven rebounds. For the Orange, Taurean Thompson’s 18 points led the way.
ZERO: Syracuse has lived and died by the 3-pointer this season, and on Sunday, it was 8-30 from beyond the arc.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse hosts Duke at the Carrier Dome on Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m. TV: ESPN.
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army crossing Final Four threshold builds momentum for 2018 - August 22, 2017
- Boston College Eagles — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 21, 2017
- Adelson: Syracuse football ‘will be better’ but bowl game may prove elusive - August 18, 2017
- Ervin Philips — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 16, 2017
- Louisville Cardinals — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - August 14, 2017
- Steve Ishmael — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - August 8, 2017