A quick take on Syracuse’s 71-65 loss to Georgia Tech on Sunday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: A 12-0 Georgia Tech run midway through the second half gave the Yellow Jackets a 51-38 lead with 9:19 left in the second half. But the Orange, as has been the case all season, mounted a furious rally and pulled to within 67-65 with 56 seconds left seconds left. But a questionable illegal screen call on Tyler Roberson with 17 seconds left when Syracuse had a chance to tie torpedoed the rally, and Georgia Tech hit some free throws for the final margin.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse missed a golden opportunity to pad its NCAA resume with a fellow bubble team. At the start of the day, Syracuse was among the “Last Four In” according to bracketologist Joe Lundari, while Georgia Tech was among the last four out. It’s logical to think that for the time being, the two teams are switched. Georgia Tech was able to win thanks to a stymieing defense, which held John Gillon and Tyler Lydon to a combined 5-21 shooting from the field.
HERO: Ben Lammers dominated at both ends of the court for the Yellow Jackets, with 23 points, seven blocks and seven rebounds. For the Orange, Taurean Thompson’s 18 points led the way.
ZERO: Syracuse has lived and died by the 3-pointer this season, and on Sunday, it was 8-30 from beyond the arc.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse hosts Duke at the Carrier Dome on Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m. TV: ESPN.
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017