A quick take on Syracuse’s 71-65 loss to Georgia Tech on Sunday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: A 12-0 Georgia Tech run midway through the second half gave the Yellow Jackets a 51-38 lead with 9:19 left in the second half. But the Orange, as has been the case all season, mounted a furious rally and pulled to within 67-65 with 56 seconds left seconds left. But a questionable illegal screen call on Tyler Roberson with 17 seconds left when Syracuse had a chance to tie torpedoed the rally, and Georgia Tech hit some free throws for the final margin.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse missed a golden opportunity to pad its NCAA resume with a fellow bubble team. At the start of the day, Syracuse was among the “Last Four In” according to bracketologist Joe Lundari, while Georgia Tech was among the last four out. It’s logical to think that for the time being, the two teams are switched. Georgia Tech was able to win thanks to a stymieing defense, which held John Gillon and Tyler Lydon to a combined 5-21 shooting from the field.
HERO: Ben Lammers dominated at both ends of the court for the Yellow Jackets, with 23 points, seven blocks and seven rebounds. For the Orange, Taurean Thompson’s 18 points led the way.
ZERO: Syracuse has lived and died by the 3-pointer this season, and on Sunday, it was 8-30 from beyond the arc.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse hosts Duke at the Carrier Dome on Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m. TV: ESPN.
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017