A quick take on Syracuse’s 81-76 win against Wake Forest on Tuesday evening at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: With the score tied at 68 with 1:15 left, John Gillon drove the lane, and the ball eventually made its way to Andrew White, who drilled a 3-pointer to give SU a 71-68 lead. Syracuse never reliquished the lead after that, and clutch free throw shooting from White, Tyler Lydon and Taurean Thompson evened the Orange’s ACC record at .500.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse got a win its desperately needed, and did it in a way it hasn’t done all season – with a late rally. The Orange trailed 55-47 with just over 10 minutes to go, and most times this season, that would’ve spelled the end for this team. But in a rare display of resiliency, the Orange mounted a furious rally, taking a 67-61 lead with 4:25 left. There were many factors for the run, but one that stuck out was SU’s effort on the boards. Going into halftime, the Orange were -10 on the glass, but Syracuse was +5 in that category in the second half. And in another rare way of winning for the Orange, free throws actually played into SU’s favor. White and Lydon calmly sank several key free throws in the final seconds of the game, and are among the leaders in the ACC at 86.4 and 96.4 percent, respectively.
HERO: White surpassed the 1,000 point career mark, tying a season-high 27 points. Meanwhile, after a quiet first half, Thompson finished with 18 points, with his final free throws putting the game out of reach.
ZERO: Tyler Roberson picked up four relatively quick fouls and was a non-factor in the game.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse hosts No. 6 Florida State on 1/28 at noon. TV: ESPN2.
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017