A common argument I often find myself getting into with UConn fans has to do with titles and wins.
They say they’d rather take their recent titles along with the NCAA tourney whiffs, while I always say consistently winning and making it far in the tournament provides longer periods of enjoyment.
But now I’m not so sure.
First things first, you always want to win. But I’d still take the Giants’ most recent Super Bowl win and then no playoffs for five years. Because you still have a title. That’s the thinking of UConn fans. And I get that.
But at the same time, my four years at Cuse would have been a lot different if we hadn’t won so much and made it relatively far in the NCAA tournament each year.
I don’t know how the season will play out for this year’s Cuse team. It has some serious work to do if it wants to enter the NCAA tournament. Of course I’d like the team to make the tourney. That’s what I’m used to. But last year’s Final Four run should hold me over for at least a year or two.
In the past, that way of thinking would have pained me. But unless you’re one of a select few teams, you’re not going to be exceptional every year. So while I’d prefer the fun that comes with winning a lot year in and year out, I understand that’s not entirely realistic.
As Syracuse fans, we should be grateful for the success the program has had over the years. Winning has seemed like a given. But it’s not. And all that winning by Cuse really speaks to the consistent success of SU hoops.
So, would I rather be a UConn fan? Win a couple titles and have a couple so-so seasons? No thanks. After consideration, I’d still take my Final Fours and consistent regular-season success.
Now, this year’s team can still win out any time now. No pressure, or anything.
- NBA Draft gives Syracuse basketball fans opportunity to follow favorite players - June 30, 2017
- Do recent Syracuse draft picks tell us how Tyler Lydon will fare? - May 26, 2017
- Expectations are low for 2017-18 Syracuse basketball, and that’s not a bad thing - April 20, 2017
- In rare non-NCAA Tournament year, Syracuse lacked senior leadership - March 15, 2017
- On this week in 2010, Syracuse knocked off then-No. 7 Villanova - February 22, 2017
- Would you rather have Syracuse consistency, or UConn’s titles? - January 12, 2017
- Syracuse shouldn’t let early losses define season - December 2, 2016
- Tyler Lydon prepared to make leap for Syracuse in 2016-17 - November 7, 2016
- Transfer market has been kind to Syracuse basketball - October 12, 2016
- Louisville offers Syracuse opportunity for barometer of improvement - September 8, 2016