A quick take on Syracuse’s 83-73 loss against Virginia Tech on Tuesday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: After Syracuse pulled to within 51-48 with 10:39 left, Virginia Tech responded with an 8-0 run capped by a Justin Bibbs 3-pointer with 6:48 to go. The Orange would have one last gasp, pulling to within six points with around a minute left. But John Gillon and Tyus Battle missed 3-pointers on consecutive possessions, and Virginia Tech was able to extend its home-court winning streak to 15 games.
ANALYSIS: As SU’s point guards go, so do Syracuse’s chances to win a game. After two straight outstanding performances from John Gillon, the Orange got nothing from its fifth-year transfer point guard, with Gillon going 2-9 from the field for nine points and three assists. His understudy, Frank Howard, continued its ACC swoon, with two points and four assists in limited action. Another reason for SU’s recent surge had been its more active defense, but the Orange was only able to generate six turnovers while surrendering 49.1 percent shooting from the field.
HERO: Zach LeDay was the perfect zone buster for the Hokies, leading Va. Tech with 22 points on 9-13 shooting from the field, several of those baskets coming on easy dunks. For SU, Taurean Thompson led the way with 18 points and eight rebounds.
ZERO: Tyler Lydon, who has averaged more than 17 points in ACC play, was 1-5 from the field for two points. For the Hokies, Justin Robinson had come in averaging more than 11 points per game was held without a basket all night before fouling out.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse returns home for a revenge game against Boston College at the Carrier Dome on Saturday. The Eagles throttled the Orange to open ACC play.
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017