A quick take on Syracuse’s 83-73 loss against Virginia Tech on Tuesday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: After Syracuse pulled to within 51-48 with 10:39 left, Virginia Tech responded with an 8-0 run capped by a Justin Bibbs 3-pointer with 6:48 to go. The Orange would have one last gasp, pulling to within six points with around a minute left. But John Gillon and Tyus Battle missed 3-pointers on consecutive possessions, and Virginia Tech was able to extend its home-court winning streak to 15 games.
ANALYSIS: As SU’s point guards go, so do Syracuse’s chances to win a game. After two straight outstanding performances from John Gillon, the Orange got nothing from its fifth-year transfer point guard, with Gillon going 2-9 from the field for nine points and three assists. His understudy, Frank Howard, continued its ACC swoon, with two points and four assists in limited action. Another reason for SU’s recent surge had been its more active defense, but the Orange was only able to generate six turnovers while surrendering 49.1 percent shooting from the field.
HERO: Zach LeDay was the perfect zone buster for the Hokies, leading Va. Tech with 22 points on 9-13 shooting from the field, several of those baskets coming on easy dunks. For SU, Taurean Thompson led the way with 18 points and eight rebounds.
ZERO: Tyler Lydon, who has averaged more than 17 points in ACC play, was 1-5 from the field for two points. For the Hokies, Justin Robinson had come in averaging more than 11 points per game was held without a basket all night before fouling out.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse returns home for a revenge game against Boston College at the Carrier Dome on Saturday. The Eagles throttled the Orange to open ACC play.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 78, Duke 75 - February 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 65, Georgia Tech 71 - February 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Louisville 76 (OT) - February 13, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 82, Clemson 81 - February 7, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Virginia 62 - February 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 100, NC State 93 OT - February 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse announces 2017 class - February 1, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 82, Florida State 72 - January 28, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 81, Wake Forest 76 - January 24, 2017
- Can Syracuse still make the NCAA Tournament? - January 23, 2017