A quick take on Syracuse’s 70-55 win over Miami on Wednesday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: After Dajan Vasiljevic’s 3-pointer slashed SU’s lead to 43-42 with 13:30 left, Syracuse responded with a 9-0 run to go up 10 with 10:25 left, capped by Andrew White’s 3-pointer. From there, Tyler Lydon scored nine straight points for the Orange as Syracuse opened up a comfortable double-digit lead it would never relinquish.
ANALYSIS: Finally, Syracuse put on a performance that matched its lofty preseason expectations and talent. The main difference was on defense, something SU has struggled mightily in all season. Though Miami canned 11 3-pointers, which has been a bugaboo throughout the year, the Orange held the Hurricanes to under 40 percent shooting on the night, showing a cohesion that has been missing all season. Perhaps that’s because Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim cut his rotation to just seven players, and effectively six, with Frank Howard relegated to the bench for the majority of the game, and Tyler Roberson playing major minutes.
HERO: Syracuse also shined on offense, with Boeheim settling in on Gillon as his floor general. Gillon, though maddening at times with his shot selection, still effectively distributed the ball, dishing out 11 helpers. Lydon and White, meanwhile, were effective zone busters, combining for 42 points. For Miami, Vasiljevic would hit six 3-pointers to lead the Hurricanes with 18 points.
ZERO: Gillon played nearly the entire game in favor of Howard, who has now found himself in the Josh Wright doghouse. He registered just one minute in the box score.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will host Pitt on Saturday at 1 p.m.
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Tournament: A look at Syracuse lacrosse’s first round matchup against Yale - May 11, 2017