A quick take on Syracuse’s 70-55 win over Miami on Wednesday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: After Dajan Vasiljevic’s 3-pointer slashed SU’s lead to 43-42 with 13:30 left, Syracuse responded with a 9-0 run to go up 10 with 10:25 left, capped by Andrew White’s 3-pointer. From there, Tyler Lydon scored nine straight points for the Orange as Syracuse opened up a comfortable double-digit lead it would never relinquish.
ANALYSIS: Finally, Syracuse put on a performance that matched its lofty preseason expectations and talent. The main difference was on defense, something SU has struggled mightily in all season. Though Miami canned 11 3-pointers, which has been a bugaboo throughout the year, the Orange held the Hurricanes to under 40 percent shooting on the night, showing a cohesion that has been missing all season. Perhaps that’s because Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim cut his rotation to just seven players, and effectively six, with Frank Howard relegated to the bench for the majority of the game, and Tyler Roberson playing major minutes.
HERO: Syracuse also shined on offense, with Boeheim settling in on Gillon as his floor general. Gillon, though maddening at times with his shot selection, still effectively distributed the ball, dishing out 11 helpers. Lydon and White, meanwhile, were effective zone busters, combining for 42 points. For Miami, Vasiljevic would hit six 3-pointers to lead the Hurricanes with 18 points.
ZERO: Gillon played nearly the entire game in favor of Howard, who has now found himself in the Josh Wright doghouse. He registered just one minute in the box score.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will host Pitt on Saturday at 1 p.m.
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017