A quick take on Syracuse’s 80-56 win over to Cornell on Tuesday evening at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: After Cornell took a 16-14 lead with just over 11 minutes left in the first half, the Orange held the Big Red to just six points for the next eight minutes. During that time, SU took a 31-20 lead after a pair of Tyler Lydon free throws. Syracuse would then open up a 42-25 going into halftime, and the Orange would never be seriously threatened in the second half.
ANALYSIS: With the close of non-conference play, there are plenty of concerns and red flags, especially in the first 10 minutes of the game. One such theme has been the inability to defend the 3-point line. Though Cornell finished just 6-24 from downtown, it had plenty of clean looks in the early going. Another issue has been point guard play against more talented teams. Though John Gillon had seven assists and Syracuse assisted on 21 of 29 baskets, it needs to prove that it can sustain ball movement in conference play. One good stat was 15 Big Red turnovers that led to 19 points for the Orange, something that was largely missing from its losses to high-major opponents.
HERO: Lydon finished with 20 points and 10 rebounds, while Tyus Battle chipped in 16 points on 4-7 shooting from distance. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim adjusted his lineup again to feature Battle in the starting lineup. Previously, Boeheim had benched Battle in favor of Gillon.
ZERO: Stony Gettings finished with nine rebounds, but also shot just 1-8 from the field for 2 points.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse opens up ACC play when it heads north to play Boston College on Jan. 1 at 12:30 p.m.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017