Item: How much does it bother you that for a third straight elongated bowl game season there’s not even room at the table for a Syracuse program? Yes, it has to be earned and the 2016 squad came up a tad short, while the non-conference schedule has to be adjusted moving forward to level the playing field to gain a minimum of six victories.
But with no disrespect intended, it’s hard looking at the matchups and seeing plenty of programs (USTA, Appalachian St, Arkansas State) with a lot less tradition and success than SU enjoying all the bowl game trappings.
Heck, with Eastern Michigan’s basketball team playing in the Dome Monday night, it got us thinking about Eastern Michigan’s 7-5 football team playing in the Bahamas Bowl Friday afternoon where it will be sunny and 80 degrees in Nassau, while the Orange football program was one of just three in the 14 team ACC to stay home this bowl season. Ouch.
Item: With the recent announcements that running backs Leonard Fournette of LSU (Citrus) and Christian McCaffrey of Stanford (Sun) will not play in their school’s upcoming respective bowl games to remove the risk of injury and plummeting in next April’s NFL Draft, how would you feel if it occurred within the ‘Cuse program?
Let’s say, hypothetically, of course, if Syracuse had qualified for the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit to play (ironically, this season) Maryland the day after Christmas, and WR Amba Etta-Tawo decided not to play to avoid the risk of injury and hurting his draft position, would you as an Orange fan be upset or not? (Let us know below.)
The 2016 season could mark a milestone as a turning point for many more likely high first round picks putting their professional aspirations ahead of the program that recruited them to play college football.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Cornell 45 - November 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: Revamped roster for Syracuse basketball will need time to bloom - November 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Seeking a ‘November to Remember’ for Syracuse Football - October 31, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse picked 10th in the ACC - October 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Yearning for ACC football division reconfiguration - October 24, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017