Item: How much does it bother you that for a third straight elongated bowl game season there’s not even room at the table for a Syracuse program? Yes, it has to be earned and the 2016 squad came up a tad short, while the non-conference schedule has to be adjusted moving forward to level the playing field to gain a minimum of six victories.
But with no disrespect intended, it’s hard looking at the matchups and seeing plenty of programs (USTA, Appalachian St, Arkansas State) with a lot less tradition and success than SU enjoying all the bowl game trappings.
Heck, with Eastern Michigan’s basketball team playing in the Dome Monday night, it got us thinking about Eastern Michigan’s 7-5 football team playing in the Bahamas Bowl Friday afternoon where it will be sunny and 80 degrees in Nassau, while the Orange football program was one of just three in the 14 team ACC to stay home this bowl season. Ouch.
Item: With the recent announcements that running backs Leonard Fournette of LSU (Citrus) and Christian McCaffrey of Stanford (Sun) will not play in their school’s upcoming respective bowl games to remove the risk of injury and plummeting in next April’s NFL Draft, how would you feel if it occurred within the ‘Cuse program?
Let’s say, hypothetically, of course, if Syracuse had qualified for the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit to play (ironically, this season) Maryland the day after Christmas, and WR Amba Etta-Tawo decided not to play to avoid the risk of injury and hurting his draft position, would you as an Orange fan be upset or not? (Let us know below.)
The 2016 season could mark a milestone as a turning point for many more likely high first round picks putting their professional aspirations ahead of the program that recruited them to play college football.
- Orange Watch: ACC still in play for rare conference football-basketball national title sweep - March 28, 2017
- Orange Watch: Perhaps now Jim Boeheim can even win 1000 games at Syracuse ‘twice’ - March 22, 2017
- Orange Watch: With Hopkins leaving Syracuse, a look back at March 19, 2015 - March 20, 2017
- NIT Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Mississippi 85 - March 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: 2017 only the ninth non-NCAA season under Jim Boeheim for Syracuse - March 14, 2017
- Orange Watch: Will tournament in Brooklyn resonate with Syracuse, ACC? - March 8, 2017
- Orange Watch: The case for Syracuse guard John Gillon being All-ACC - March 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: 2017 Syracuse football to play in traditional southern locales - February 28, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball facing a potential historic losing streak - February 21, 2017
- Orange Watch: Minimum of five games left to decide Syracuse basketball’s postseason - February 16, 2017