A quick take on Syracuse’s embarrassing 93-60 loss to St. John’s on Wednesday evening at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: Up 59-48 with 11:29 left, St. John’s completely stymied Syracuse for the rest of the game, holding the Orange scoreless for over 3 and a half minutes to take a commanding 74-48 lead. Things got so bad for the Orange that fans began filing out of their seats with around eight minutes to go in the second half. There were so many factors to point to in the lopsided loss, but two of the main problems were turnovers and fouls. Syracuse committed an unslightly 19 turnovers compared with the Red Storm’s six, while SU was also whistled for seven more fouls than St. John’s. The Orange also struggled to defend the 3-point line, something that has been a recurring theme all season, with the Red Storm canning 12 of its 29 attempts.
ANALYSIS: There is almost always a bright spot in every game, but it was hard to find one on Wednesday evening. St. John’s came into the contest with seven losses, including two to Delaware State and Long Island University. The Red Storm has teetered between awful and atrocious all season, and yet for the third year in a row (the first time SU has lost three straight to St. John’s since 1993), the Red Storm took it to the Orange. Any optimism that SU started with has been completely evaporated, and we aren’t even out of December yet. Syracuse simply cannot execute in any phase of the game right now. Defensively, it can’t stop the 3-pointer. Offensively, the Orange had 12 assists compared with 19 turnovers. Has any team under Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim’s long tenure underachieved as much as this one to start a season?
HERO: Bashir Ahmed and Shamorie Ponds combined for 39 points on 6 for 16 shooting from distance to lead the Red Storm. Tyler Lydon nothced a double-double for Syracuse with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
ZERO: Syracuse got nothing from John Gillon, Andrew White and Frank Howard. The trio combined to shoot 4 for 21 from the field for a combined 11 points. Ouch.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse has one more tune-up before starting ACC play, when it hosts Cornell on Dec. 27 at 7:00 p.m. at the Carrier Dome.
- Scoop Bradshaw — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: NJ wide receiver Taj Harris commits to Syracuse - June 26, 2017
- Breaking down Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon’s selection by the Denver Nuggets - June 23, 2017
- Former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon selected by Denver Nuggets in NBA Draft - June 22, 2017
- Central Michigan Chippewas — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 22, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse receives commitment from OL Will Froumy - June 21, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Cole Swider to visit Syracuse, Anthony Queeley commits - June 19, 2017
- Antwan Cordy — Meet the 2017 Syracuse Football team - June 14, 2017
- Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders — 2017 Syracuse Football preview - June 12, 2017
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands USF transfer Geno Thorpe - June 12, 2017