A quick take on Syracuse’s embarrassing 93-60 loss to St. John’s on Wednesday evening at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: Up 59-48 with 11:29 left, St. John’s completely stymied Syracuse for the rest of the game, holding the Orange scoreless for over 3 and a half minutes to take a commanding 74-48 lead. Things got so bad for the Orange that fans began filing out of their seats with around eight minutes to go in the second half. There were so many factors to point to in the lopsided loss, but two of the main problems were turnovers and fouls. Syracuse committed an unslightly 19 turnovers compared with the Red Storm’s six, while SU was also whistled for seven more fouls than St. John’s. The Orange also struggled to defend the 3-point line, something that has been a recurring theme all season, with the Red Storm canning 12 of its 29 attempts.
ANALYSIS: There is almost always a bright spot in every game, but it was hard to find one on Wednesday evening. St. John’s came into the contest with seven losses, including two to Delaware State and Long Island University. The Red Storm has teetered between awful and atrocious all season, and yet for the third year in a row (the first time SU has lost three straight to St. John’s since 1993), the Red Storm took it to the Orange. Any optimism that SU started with has been completely evaporated, and we aren’t even out of December yet. Syracuse simply cannot execute in any phase of the game right now. Defensively, it can’t stop the 3-pointer. Offensively, the Orange had 12 assists compared with 19 turnovers. Has any team under Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim’s long tenure underachieved as much as this one to start a season?
HERO: Bashir Ahmed and Shamorie Ponds combined for 39 points on 6 for 16 shooting from distance to lead the Red Storm. Tyler Lydon nothced a double-double for Syracuse with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
ZERO: Syracuse got nothing from John Gillon, Andrew White and Frank Howard. The trio combined to shoot 4 for 21 from the field for a combined 11 points. Ouch.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse has one more tune-up before starting ACC play, when it hosts Cornell on Dec. 27 at 7:00 p.m. at the Carrier Dome.
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017