A quick take on Syracuse’s 78-71 loss to its long-time rival Georgetown on Saturday afternoon:
WHAT HAPPENED: After Jonathan Mulmore hit a 3-pointer to put Georgetown up 67-60 with 2:41 left, Syracuse made it a one-possession game after Tyler Lydon’s basket with 1:07 on the clock to pull SU to within 3. But a questionable charge call on John Gillon after a Georgetown turnover stalled SU’s momentum, and Georgetown was able to close out the game at the free throw line.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse dropped another game against a Power 5 team, and if the NCAA Tournament were to start today, the Orange would almost be on the outside looking in. Syracuse’s defense still continued its struggles, with Georgetown shooting over 47 percent from the field despite 18 turnovers. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim also hasn’t quite settled on his rotation, with Gillon making his first start of his SU career. It helped somewhat, with the Orange putting forth a better offensive effort than it did against UConn, but the Orange couldn’t find a sustained offensive burst in the second half.
HERO: Lydon finished with a career-high 29 points, missing just one of his 13 shots. For Georgetown, LJ Peak and Rodney Prior combined with 43 points.
ZERO: An old bugaboo for the Orange came to haunt them today, as SU missed nine free throws. The Orange didn’t much from Frank Howard, who shot 2-6 and finished with four assists, but also six turnovers.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse has a quick turnaround, hosting Eastern Michigan on Monday at 7 p.m. at the Carrier Dome.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017