A quick take on Syracuse’s 77-71 win over North Florida on Saturday evening at the Carrier Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: With Syracuse leading by double-digits for most of the second half, North Florida countered with a barrage of 3-pointers, hitting five of them in the final six minutes to pull within five points with 56 seconds left. But Frank Howard responded with two free throws and Andrew White stole a pass on the ensuing play as SU snapped a two-game losing streak.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim adjusted his starting lineup for the first time this season, benching Tyler Roberson in favor of Tyus Battle. Boeheim appears to have also seen enough of Paschal Chukwu, who did not appear after logging minutes in the first six games. On the flip side, Boeheim is gaining confidence in Dajuan Coleman. The fifth-year grad student tied a career high with 15 points, and was the focal point of the offense when the Ospreys had cut the lead under double-digits with under four minutes left.
HERO: White led Syracuse with 26 points, including seven 3-pointers, a career high while Howard finished with 10 points and 13 assists. Moore led all scorers with 30 points.
ZERO: It was not a good night for the Tylers. Lydon finished with nine rebounds, but only six points on 2-9 shooting. Roberson, deep in Boeheim’s dog house, went 0-6 from the field and only had one point.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse heads down to New York City to play old Big East opponent UConn at Madison Square Garden on Monday at 7:00 p.m.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017