A quick take on Syracuse’s 101-59 win over South Carolina State in the Brooklyn Hoops Holiday Invitational on Tuesday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: After South Carolina State’s Ed Stephens opened the game with a 3-pointer 30 seconds into the game, the Orange held the Bulldogs scoreless until the 13:54 in the first half. By that point, the Orange jumped out to a 15-3 lead and took a 46-31 lead into halftime. Syracuse completely ran away with the game in the second half, outscoring the Bulldogs 55-28, turning the ball over just twice.
ANALYSIS: Syracuse displayed its offensive versatility, with all nine scholarship players logging at least four points, and six different players in double digits. The Orange was able to top the century mark for the first time since Dec. 8, 2012 after shooting 55 percent from the field and 12-23 from downtown. On defense, Syracuse limited the Bulldogs to 27.5 percent shooting on the night and dominated the paint, holding a +22 advantage on the glass.
HERO: Plenty of heroes to choose from, with Howard (10 points, 11 assists), Andrew White (15 points), Tyler Roberson (13 points, 12 rebounds), John Gillon (14 points), Taurean Thompson (12 points) and Tyler Lydon (14 points, 10 rebounds) all in double figures.
ZERO: It’s hard to find any flaw in such a lopsided win, but Syracuse’s press, which was invaluable to its Final Four run last year, still needs work. SU spent a lot of the first half in press and could only generate six turnovers, and 10 overall. The Orange was also 14-21 from the free throw line, which won’t matter against an early season opponent, but will be a critical factor later in the year.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse heads down to New York City to play at the Barclay’s Center against South Carolina on Saturday afternoon.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017