A quick take on Syracuse’s deflating 35-20 defeat against North Carolina State Saturday afternoon, on Military Appreciation Day at the Carrier Dome in front of an announced crowd of 34,842:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse’s bowl game hopes all but vanished with the loss, falling to 4-6 overall and 3-3 in the ACC with two games to play. Trailing 28-20 in the fourth quarter, the ‘Cuse offense, under the direction of backup quarterback Zack Mahoney could not move the football with 7:00 to play, and two minutes later the Wolfpack put the game away on running back Matt Dayes third score of the day.
ANALYSIS: The Syracuse defense simply could not get off the field at key situations in the game, especially in the second half as N.C. State dominated time of possession, resulting in four of the five Wolfpack touchdowns coming on extended drives. With starting quarterback Eric Dungey watching from the sidelines, Mahoney did the best he could in trying to evade a swarming ‘Pack defense, and had one bright spot in connecting with Amba Etta-Tawo on an 81 yard touchdown pass in the third quarter, but overall there was too little offense with not enough time of possession.
HERO: State’s senior back Dayes was a steady force on the ground the entire afternoon scoring three times, including the clinching score with 4:50 to play. He finished with 119 yards rushing on his 27 carries.
ZERO: The Syracuse rushing attack was practically non-existent with three backs combining for only 69 yards, allowing the NCSU defense to key on the SU passing game, limiting Mahoney’s options in key second half situations.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse concludes the home portion of its schedule taking on No. 18 Florida State (7-3, 4-3) Saturday, Nov. 19. SU won the first game of this series back in 1966 at Archbold Stadium, and since then it’s been eight straight Seminole wins between 1978-2015, including all three ACC contests by an average margin of 47-14. FSU walloped Boston College 45-7 at Tallahassee on Friday night. Game Time: 3:30 p.m. ET / TV: ABC/ESPN2.
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee highlights NCAA clock problem - September 12, 2017