A quick take on Syracuse’s 28-20 win against Boston College on a wet Saturday afternoon in Chestnut Hill:
WHAT HAPPENED: With Syracuse up 21-20 with 9:18 left in the fourth quarter, Eric Dungey threw deep to Amba Etta-Tawo, who came down with a spectacular one-handed grab for a 68-yard touchdown to give SU a 28-20 lead. Boston College had one final chance to tie after Dungey fumbled the ball at midfield with 4:28 left, but the Orange defense held after a timely sack from Josh Black and a fourth down incompletion in the end zone. The win evened SU’s record at 4-4 and kept Boston College winless in the ACC.
ANALYSIS: Statistically, this should’ve been a dominant Syracuse performance. The Orange outgained the Eagles 524 to 287 in total yardage, and 434-64 through the air. But the game ended up coming down to the final few minutes because of far too many Syracuse mistakes. SU turned the ball over three times, with Dungey fumbling twice and getting intercepted once. And the Orange was penalized 16 times for 135 yards.
HERO: Etta-Tawo notched 10 catches for 144 yards, becoming just the fourth player in SU history to go over 1,000 yards in a single season. Despite the turnovers, Dungey’s 434 passing yards was good enough for the second-highest single-game performance all-time. Steve Ishmael (108), Brisly Estime (93) and Erv Phillips (78) all benefited.
ZERO: Special teams had another poor outing, allowing an 89-yard punt return to Myles Willis in the second quarter combined with Cole Murphy missing a 40-yard field goal. Without those two plays, it could’ve been a significantly less stressful afternoon for SU.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will have a bye week before traveling to Clemson on Sat. Nov. 5.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017