There’s never been a better time to be a Syracuse sports fan.
As the fall sports schedule wraps up and the winter sports get going, if you haven’t been paying attention, it’s time. Look beyond the “big” sports of football, men’s basketball and men’s lacrosse too. The Orange field hockey team is ranked No. 3 in the country. The men’s soccer team and cross country are No. 6.
These programs are coming off unprecedented success in 2015 and are well positioned again this year. The men’s cross country and field hockey squads won national championships a year ago. It was the first title for the cross country squad since 1951 and the first time it finished on a podium since 1957. Cross country also scored the 2015 ACC Championship—its fourth consecutive conference title.
Field hockey won its first national championship in program history and the first national title by a women’s team in Syracuse history. The team had a perfect 16-0 record in the regular season and was the first ACC team to sweep the conference postseason awards since 1994.
Men’s soccer advanced to the College Cup, the sport’s Final Four, for the first time in program history in 2015. It fell in a penalty-kick shootout in the semifinals.
The 2015-2016 academic year also included a runner-up finish in women’s basketball, and trips to the Final Four in men’s basketball and women’s lacrosse.
Meanwhile, despite football’s growing pains, it’s hard not to get excited about the program’s direction. The 31-17 victory over No. 17 Virginia Tech last weekend—and Coach Dino Babers’ post-game locker room video—fired up the faithful and fringe fans alike.
And while there are a lot of question mark’s surrounding the men’s basketball team this year, there aren’t too many more times we’ll see Jim Boeheim sneering, smiling and shaking his head up and down the sidelines. You can’t dismiss another NCAA tourney run with him at the helm.
So, pay attention and cheer on the Orange. ACC championships for cross country are Oct. 28, NCAA regionals are Nov. 11 and championships Nov. 19. The men’s soccer conference championship kicks off Nov. 2 and field hockey on Nov. 3.
And tune in as the men’s and women’s basketball seasons gets underway Friday for Orange Madness.
Enjoy. It’s a golden era of Syracuse athletics.
- Syracuse lacrosse continues to surprise thanks to senior leaders - April 19, 2017
- Narrow margins, solid defense have Syracuse lacrosse off to good start - March 23, 2017
- No. 22 will need to break out to end Syracuse lacrosse’s title drought - February 9, 2017
- Syracuse and Georgetown deserve a worthy, new chapter to the rivalry - December 14, 2016
- How to survive Thanksgiving politics talk? Syracuse sports - November 23, 2016
- Syracuse sports have never been better - October 20, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse’s recruiting class ranks 12th, but that’s only part of the story - September 21, 2016
- The Syracuse men’s lacrosse team has big holes to fill again - June 22, 2016
- Syracuse men’s lacrosse entering NCAA tournament with everything clicking - May 13, 2016
- Deja Vu? Syracuse lacrosse looking a lot like their hardcourt counterparts - April 15, 2016