Item: It’s the harsh reality of inconsistency in leadership and direction sliding Syracuse out of being a major player in the major college football scene for some 15 years now, or since the program’s last Top 25 appearance (as No. 18 in the final poll) in 2001. From 2005 forward the fan base’s patience has been repeatedly tested under now four head coaches, with only two Pinstripe Bowl wins and a Texas Bowl victory to show for it. After a second consecutive Dome blowout loss this season against South Florida, we can at least envision that with a few more recruiting cycles under his belt, Dino Babers will perhaps
have enough of the players to fit his systems to produce perhaps different results against athletic and speedy teams like Louisville and USF. However, exactly how many more seasons that will take to produce on the field is hard to figure in the talent-rich ACC.
Although it’s not necessarily indicative of all the teams listed below so far this season, but if there were generally three divisions among the Power Five football conferences in which the differences between the haves and the have-nots is any clearer it is the SEC West, the Big Ten East, and the ACC Atlantic.
Take a look:
|SEC West||Big Ten East||ACC Atlantic|
|Auburn||Michigan State||Florida State|
|Texas A&M||Rutgers||Wake Forest|
While literally never in the game against Louisville from the opening seconds, and despite racing out to a 17-0 lead against S. Florida only to be outscored 45-3 over the final three quarters, Babers has remained grounded that the foundation is being built through his first season.
“I thought the first part of the game (against South Florida) we were able to do the things we wanted to do, (but) we weren’t quite able to finish,” Babers succinctly summed up after no second half answers to drop to 1-2. “I thought we could really win that game and I’m a little disappointed that we didn’t.”
Now one of the more evenly matched games on the schedule coincides with the first road game for Babers and the Orange Saturday at 2-1 Connecticut (1:00 p.m. ET / CBS SN), with a needed win before conference play there for the taking in this building block season.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017